Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

My 1998 v70 speedometer and odometer work once in a blue…

Customer Question
My 1998 v70 speedometer...

My 1998 v70 speedometer and odometer work once in a blue moon. This is impending inspection. Some have said it is a small plastic gear and some have said it is the ABS control module? Yet this control module has not worked for 4 years.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the brake fluid? And have the brakes been squeaking?

Fluid level is fine and have not had squeaking

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your V70 yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, my local mechanic who has been working on the car for years. They are stumped. So far they have reset the controller so the engine light goes off (this is unrelated). They have said the car needs to run about 10 miles with the speedometer working for this to pass inspection.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, I think my little bit of knowledge is exhausted

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Volvo
9/15/2017
Volvo Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 11 months ago
eric remington

h​elo eric here to help...so this vehicle has an electronic sensor that works with speedo odo correct? its not a mechanical speedo calble set up? there may be a gear in the transmission that is hooked up to a sensor. do you plan on working on this yourself how can I help you? what can I do to answer your needs? It wt could be a couple of different things