Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

I was just on my way home and I got the following message…

Customer Question
I was just on...

I was just on my way home and I got the following message "abs/anti-skid service required."

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the brake fluid? And have the brakes been squeaking?

All the fluid were changed last week when I got the oil changed last week. When I brake, the front feels like it's skipping and the steering wheel shakes a little.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Volvo?

2005 s40 2.4i. I bought it from a used car dealership about 4 weeks ago

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your S40 yourself? What have you tried so far?

The oil change was done at a local business. I've put a new air filter and a battery. The message literally showed up an hour ago. I have an appointment tomorrow morning at a place that specializes in brakes...Maybe they can pinpoint the issue.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The place I bought it from put a used alternator in it. I only mention this because I read somewhere that if the alternator isn't providing enough voltage, random messages can pop up.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Volvo
9/14/2017
Volvo Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 8 months ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Hey how are you
That is correct ,if the Altenator is not charging properly it will throw a fault in the abs module ,to check
Get a voltmeter when u get home while car running at the battery read the voltage ,is reading 14 plus volt then start turning load like flasher ,headlights ,radio etc.
Does it hold the 14 plus volts or drops down also with all loads on if u Rev it up to 2500 rpm gradually and look at voltmeter does it still hold it
Please let me know
Chad
I do not own a volunteer. But I do know the battery is 2 weeks old.
Voltmeter, rather.

i want to check the alternator charge, battery will be fine but if the alternator is not charging it we have an issue with alternator

if no voltmeter is available take it to advance or auto zone , they will test the alternator for free if you have them where u live

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

You are very welcome :)

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May Receive my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciatted

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite Expert

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone

Thank You
Chad Farhat

Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat