Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Installed new alternator, now overvoltage code comes up and

Installed new alternator, now overvoltage code comes up and headlights not working and cooling fan staying on.
JA: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the bulbs?
Customer: No, all this is happening at once.
JA: What is the model/year of your Volvo?
Customer: 01 v70 xc
JA: Are you fixing your V70 XC yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: All I have done so far is replace alternator, ran fine last night.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• Although I work here everyday, please understand it is not all day and rarely morning time.
  • To get the most from me and the best experience, please give me the best details you can.
  • The website will offer you a phone call option for more $$. Some I do fulfill and some I do not.
  • Thanks, let's get started. If I upload dropbox links, without the app use the box in the top right for direct download.

While running what is the battery voltage?

Do the headlights work with the engine off?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
13.43 volts
No they do not work.

At the headlights are blue and black wires. Can you ohm test the black wires to ground to verify they are good and can you see if the blue wires have power when commanding low and high beams on?

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
The codes , the A/C going on and off, the sunroof opening but not wanting to close and the Transmission slipping all seem to be symptoms of a different problem.
Does it sound like a bad regulator on the new alternator?

As long as the battery voltage while running is 13-15 volts, then the issues do not appear to be alternator related, especially if you have issues with the key on, engine off.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5 star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris