Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

Front end vibration. Replaced transmission, both engine

Customer Question
mounts. Replaced both drive axles...
Front end vibration. Replaced transmission, both engine mounts. Replaced both drive axles twice last time with Volvo drive axles. Vibration only occurs going up a hill or under acceleration. No vibration when going even speed. Engine runs smooth when idling and increasing engine speed when in park. Once in a while (not often) I can accelerate and there is no vibration. No check engine. What would you do next? Do you think it is ignition coil or fuel injector? Is there any chance it is the transmission?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Volvo
9/11/2017
Volvo Mechanic: Edward, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 months ago
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

I assume rotating the tires and wheels makes no difference? have you tried that yet? and how long has this problem been going on? for roughly how many miles? thank you.

rotated tires with no difference. 6-10k miles

Alright, which two engine mounts were replaced? And how many miles are on the vehicle now roughly? thank you.

Did the technician ever mention control arm bushings by chance? do you feel this vibration in the steering wheel by chance? does the steering wheel shake when you accelerate? or do you feel it more in the seat? thank you.

Right, left (transmission) and both torgue arm segments. 137000mi.
All mounts I replaced were Volvo brand

Alright, Does the amount of acceleration have anything to do with it? like the harder you push it the worst the vibration?

Let me opt out, I don't believe I am going to be able to narrow this one down if you put all the mounts on it, axles on it, and rotating the tires do not help. Thank you and another expert may be able to assist now.

Volvo Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

so you have replaced everything that could cause it and if your confident in your mechanics abilities about the only thing I can think of to do is a high speed on the wheel tire ballance at a speed shop, that will fix any vibrations your having

Thanks! There is no vibration in the steering wheel. There is no vibration going down the highway at any speed. I took it to the tire shop and they said the tires are not the problem.
The vibration is more evident when going up a hill or under aggressive acceleration.

the on the car balancer will ballance everything I would try that next, the problem is finding one, not many people have these machines

This is a factory car. I am not buying what you are suggesting

ouch thats a slap in the face, maybe you should go back to your mechanic and replace some more parts

Not meant to be a slap in the face. However, not sure what the intent of you comment, "replace some more parts" is.

so you have replaced every possible part and done everything about 3 times over so what more can you do?

Enes
Enes
Enes, VOLVO Master Technician