sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 17 years dealership experience
9825021

02 Volvo S80 internal control module faults. Clean all

Customer Question

02 Volvo S80 internal control module faults
JA: Are you fixing your S80 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes clean all grounds
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Installed used engine
JA: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?
Customer: Auto 125k
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

An internal control module failure code is usually pretty cut and dry. These codes usually set because the reporting module sees an internal failure such as hardware or memory and sets the code.

What module are you finding the code in?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Code 711a and 5200 I believe 5200 is because of extended crank time when vehicle is acting up

Are you finding the codes in the engine controller?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
my issue is a cranks but no start at times. 711a and 5200 are both ecm codes

What are the P code numbers setting in the ECM? They will start with a P and have four digits.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
sir I understand that but it has no codes showing up under generic obd. It only is showing manufacturer specific codes under Volvo
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
sir I understand that but it has no codes showing up under generic obd. It only is showing manufacturer specific codes under Volvo Both codes are under engine it has some other module codes but I'm not concerned with them at this time. My problem is on first start up after vehicle has been running it will not start

I'll need to know the actual P codes that are setting in order to look them up.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There are no p codes

There are P codes stored in the engine controller if the engine light is coming on. Any vehicle built after 1995 for the US market is legally required to report in P code format.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
sir I'm aware of obd2 standards. I've been an Ase master tech since 1991 and when vehicle acted up it says reduced power on dash for a few minutes after I get it started then check engine light illuminates when I hook up my solus it only shows me under engine codes 711a and 5200 code

I have no reference for these in the service information. To proceed I'd need to know the P code numbers. Every code that the ECM is capable of setting has to be reported in P code format. Otherwise if you believe they are for an internal ECM failure then you can have the ECM replaced.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
basically all you can do for me is give me a flowchart for a particular p obd2 code

I can't post any information directly from the service information due to copyright, but as I mentioned the codes you have posted are not even in the cross reference chart to look up the actual P code.