Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

When i open a door a loud whirring/buzzing comes from front…

Customer Question
When i open a...

When i open a door a loud whirring/buzzing comes from front right engine compartment - seems to be under the steering fluid container, maybe a little further forward. the noise will go away after five, ten minutes - then it turns into a steady clicking noise that never ends (but seems to get more quite after half a day or so.

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

I just bought it. i didn't notice it after my test drive, but did when i drove it home some 80 miles.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 80 yourself? What have you tried so far?

It's not an 80

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Volvo
the whirring noise will go away if i pull fuse 32 (sometimes) - but the clicking remains. it never stops clicking. i know that the alarm system needs new motor or battery, but that fuse has already been pulled as I'm not concerned with having a functioning alarm system. just to check today when i woke up, i used the key fob to unlock all the doors. when i did so the internal lights came on and the whirring noise started up. forgot to mention maybe, it's a 2002 xc70 about 180,000 miles.
9/9/2017
Volvo Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 9 months ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I jut came online and saw your question

Ok, I am going to to need the vin number in order to pull the schematics to see where the issue lies.

Yv1sz58d821077810

HI,

Ok, fuse 32 is for the stepper motor of the power steering unit. Let me pull its schematics and review them.

Not this second. Perhaps later. I'm about to eat diner. Any ideas. Most of what I was able to research made it seem ok. I just didn't read this excact problem.
It's around the passenger front wheel well though. Does that still make sense. Diagram looks like drivers side.

HI,

noise can be deceptive on its origins. the noise can be transmitted thru the rack and pinion to the passenger side. There is nothing else on fuse 32 circuit to cause a whirring noise.

I would use a length of vacuum hose and put one end down on the driver side of the rack and pinion and listen thru the other end to see if noise is amplified. If it is, then you know it is the stepper motor whirring.

I'll try but the fuse 32 is interior lights dash board glove box etc. I put my ear on psg side I hear the tick. I put my ear to the drivers side and don't hear a thing. It's coming from under around in front of the engine control module...

HI,

I am not sure what else it would be, so I will opt out and see if another expert may know