Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I've had 10 years of experience on the car line at 2 Volvo dealerships, Quality level Volvo tech.
29534642

I have a 2004 Volvo v70r that I'm trying to replace the

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Volvo v70r that I'm trying to replace the timing belt on. No matter what I try I have not been able to loosen the 30 mm crankshaft pulley nut. Tried heavy duty impact wrench, locking crankshaft with tool and home made heavy duty bar to,no avail. Any thoughts?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Edward replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

Expert:  Edward replied 1 month ago.

You have the crank pinning tool behind the starter installed to pin the crank correct?

Expert:  Edward replied 1 month ago.

put a breaker bar on a jackstand and stand on it with a pipe, either the nut will break loose or your breaker bar will break or extension will break etc. Just be careful, Somebody probably put it on with 150 psi shop air pressure last time it was done and it is just tight as all get out. The method I'm referring to kind of looks like this.

Expert:  Edward replied 1 month ago.

Don't try that without the crank pinned though, if that belt breaks with the cam lock tools on it you can bend the valves pretty easily. Also, fyi, if you take the snow guard off, (those 2 ten mm bolts in the front) pull that guard off, and take a small pry bar and pry the harmonic balancer forward a few thousandths, you can sneak the belt past the pulley without taking it off, a standard volvo timing belt will fit behind that pulley without pulling it. but you have to bend the belt up and get it past those dimples in the block. I didn't use to pull the pulleys when I would do these, I would put the cam marks straight up at 12, cut the old belt off and pull it out and sneak the belt behind the pulley without taking it off. Seemed to be a bit quicker for me that way. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you.