Volvo

Have Volvo Questions? Ask a Volvo Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Volvo

I have a 2007 s40 that will not start. I purchased the

vehicle as a parts car...
I have a 2007 s40 that will not start. I purchased the vehicle as a parts car to a 2006 s40 that has a broken timing belt and bent valves. I believe I want to repair the 07 because it is in better condition and has more features.
The engine currently in the 2007 is a used engine from a salvage yard (owner #3 had it installed). I've been told that the engine ran after it was installed, but shut down shortly after. Owner #3 informed me that the vehicle has gone into theft mode. The individual I purchased the vehicle from (owner #4) had the car at a local auto shop and they can get the car to run if they clear all the codes, but it shuts down shortly after. The mechanic could not recall the codes, but he told me that they were all CAN faults. He informed the owner that it would be very expensive for him to continue troubleshooting the vehicle and the issue was likely a bad engine wiring harness.
I restore older vehicles and am learning the computer controlled vehicles can be difficult to trouble shoot and are particular which parts are installed.
Here is what I've done so far.
I removed the battery and touched the +&- cables together over night to attempt a hard reboot of the system. This did not change anything, the vehicle will still only turn over. I did notice that even after doing that, the radio did not loose its memory as most vehicles do. Does this mean there is still available power coming from somewhere that would effect the hard reboot?
I've also put a meter between terminal 6&14 on the OBD2 connector to check the resistance of the system and I had a reading of 61.5 ohms.
I do not have an OBD2 scanner to see what the codes are, but I am entertaining the idea of buying one that will work with a Volvo so I can erase the codes.
Since I have a donor vehicle can I pull the ECM and CEM from it (2006) and install it in the 07?
The third owner said that the system would most likely need to be flashed and that's a task performed by a dealership.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Kevin B
8/27/2017
Daniel Wilson

Hi Kevin, My name is***** will be glad to help. CAN faults are communication link faults which is most commonly wiring harness problems. Start thoroughly inspecting the wiring harness and connector pins for any corrosion and damage. Test continuity of the wiring using an OHM meter for any breaks or shorts in the wiring if nothing is found with a thorough visual inspection. The other ECM may help some with testing purposes but it is not programmed to the vehicle so it is correct that is would need reprogramming if it were to be used on the vehicle after testing. Let me know the results and if we need to dig deeper into this.

Thank you Dan.
I am about to go out and start checking the wires one by one. First I'm going to print the wiring diagram and mark off each connection as I test them.
Can you help me understand the ECM being programmed to that vehicle? Why does the ecm care about the vehicle? Shouldn't the operation of the vehicle be the same from car to car?
Does the radio not loose its memory when the battery is disconnected?

The cars options are programed to the vehicle as well as the VIN, mileage, etc which is vehicle specific. Some may have different engine, transmission or emissions options.

For example, it would be like upgrading a laptop with new components without the drivers or programming to tell the computer to look for them, therefore some functions may not work. So for test purposes it may allow the vehicle to start, etc. but some functions may not be recognized by the ECM from the other vehicle unless they are identical as far as the OEM settings, options, emissions, engine/drivetrain, and programming.

Thank you.
Thought that having a complete vehicle for parts may allow me to swap the computers if need be.
I restore first generation Camaros and electronic systems are new to me.
That makes perfect sense, excellent comparison.

Pleasure to help

Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

Daniel Wilson
This is my first time using the site. I will rate you, but will I still be able to contact you after you get your rating?
I will research how to send bonuses. I don't see that option on the mobile app.

Yes we can still follow up as needed. Thank you.

Would it be easier to pull the engine wiring harness out and put the spare in?
The 2006 (donor vehicle) has the majority of the engine compartment disassembled already.
Also if I find the problem and fix it won't I still have to clear all the codes before the engine will start?if so is there a way to clear the fault codes without an OBD two scanner?

It would be better running the donor wiring harness and computer that matches the engine. Active codes can not be cleared until the problem is fixed. inactive codes still need a scan tool to clear them.

Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson