Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 20 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing
12772297

When I try to start the car it won't turn over I think

When I try to start the car it won't turn over I think there's either a gas leak or an oil leak
JA: Have you ever replaced the gaskets? Maybe the hoses?
Customer: No
JA: What is the model/year of your Volvo?
Customer: I recently had it in for service for an oil change and a battery replacement and soon after this problem begin
JA: What year is your Volvo?
Customer: 2004 Volvo XC90 T6 All Wheel Drive
JA: Are you fixing your XC90 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I tried to start the car while looking underneath it and I noticed a massive leak coming out of the passenger side front wheel well when I touched it it's brown smells like gas and oil
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I've had to have the car jump-started 2 or 3 times before I replace the battery I'm wondering if I need to take it to a Volvo dealership to check on any campaign

Hello

1st thing is to tackle is the fluid leak, as if its engine oil then you cannot run the engine until its fixed otherwise you risk blowing the engine

I'd say to remove the passenger wheel and take a good look around to see what is leaking / damaged

and its quite possible the leak is transmission fluid as there is a seal inside the the shaft that has failed and it can fail so allowing oil to travel down the shaft and leak out of the outer CV boot.

you need to act quickly as if its left you can also need to replace the clutchs inside the gearbox and also the driveshaft joint as the ATF will have washed out any grease