Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

Power System Check Urgent goes on with battery icon for a…

Power System Check...

Power System Check Urgent goes on with battery icon for a minute then off sporadically. Third time in a week. Leaves no messages

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the battery look like it's leaking? And does it have a strong smell -- like sulfur?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Volvo?

2008 C70

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your C70 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Took it to shop but the mechanic said if it doesnt leave message then its hard to diagnose. Battery looked fine and was operating fine. Engine runs great.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Alternator, regulator have never been replaced

Answered in 1 hour by:
8/18/2017
Andy, Volvo Expert Technician

My name is ***** ***** I am a Volvo dealership technician. I am going to try to help with your question today. That warning message comes on when the alternator is not charging. This most commonly is a permanent fault caused by a bad alternator. You could have a failing alternator, but it could also be a belt problem. I have seen an instance where an A/C Compressor seized and another shop replaced the compressor but re-used the belts. The belt had stretched and become too loose, causing that warning to come on at times. I would have the shop inspect the belt and tensioner for wear. Otherwise, you can either replace the alternator or wait for the problem to become more permanent to verify the alternator as the cause.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Please remember to select a rating for my service. You can follow up at any time, even after selecting a rating. Thank you!

Probably alternator then if ac compressor and belts are ok? Right?

Right, probably an alternator on its way out. Depending on mileage, you might consider replacing the belts anyway at the same time. You can also do them during the timing belt replacement which may be coming up as well.

Did you have any other questions?

Andy, Volvo Expert Technician