Volvo

Have Volvo Questions? Ask a Volvo Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Volvo

I have a 2005 Volvo s40 I bought used. From the day I bought

Customer Question
it, the steering lock has...
I have a 2005 Volvo s40 I bought used. From the day I bought it, the steering lock has been bad, but the previous owner jumpered the relay and it works... mostly. I have had an ongoing starting problem which appeared to be battery related. I replaced the battery, starter, ignition switch and alternator, but the problem persisted. The battery drains and dies. When the battery is fully charged the car starts every time. The other day the steering lock started working again and everything was great, but now it is stuck again. Here is my question... could the stuck steering lock be causing the battery drain?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Volvo
8/9/2017
Volvo Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 3 months ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question.

Based upon symptoms, I believe it is the steering lock, but you should be able to undo the bypass and see if drain stops to confirm it

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager