Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

My s40 2009 volve will not start. Radio goes on and clicking…

Customer Question
My s40 2009 volve...

My s40 2009 volve will not start.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

Radio goes on and clicking sound and all the dashbard lights blink violently

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your S40 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing. It in my driveway not near a shop.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The battery was replaced one year ago so that appears fine

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Volvo
just remember we have not used that car since tuesday night . Maybe just a problem i know of. Batttery leak from some car system that runs constantly even when off.
I will try a battery charger or get a jump
that resolved it. out a small battery charger on it for 10 minutes, Enough to get it started I will let it idle in driveway then drive it for 30 minutes to charge battery.
8/6/2017
Volvo Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 11 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Your symptoms did point to low battery voltage, if charging it for ten minutes allowed it to start then it was very likely not coincidental that it started after charging. You either have a bad battery or there is a component drawing current while the vehicle is at rest.

The first thing I would recommend is having the battery load tested, which can be done at most big chain parts stores such as Autozone for free.

If the battery does test ok then the next step would be an ignition off draw test to see if a draw is currently present, and if so to determine what component is causing the issue. An ammeter will need to be set up between a disconnected battery cable and it's post. If the draw exceeds 40mA then there is cause for concern. At that point fuses would either be removed one at a time or voltage drop across fuses checked to see what circuit current is flowing on, and then components on that circuit can be concentrated on.

I hope that helps! My goal is your satisfaction today. If you feel I've been professional and helpful, your 5-star rating at this time is most appreciated. However, if you still need my help you can reply back here and I'll respond as soon as possible! Thank you!