Volvo

Have Volvo Questions? Ask a Volvo Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Volvo

Volvo 2000 v70xc transfer case dead I hear rumors you can…

Customer Question
Volvo 2000 v70xc transfer...

Volvo 2000 v70xc transfer case dead I hear rumors you can remove it and the rear drive shaft and just be two wheel drive...Fact or fiction/

Mechanic's Assistant: Besides this, what condition is the car in?

Great

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '00 Volvo?

V70 xc

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your V70 XC yourself? What have you tried so far?

Thought it might be cvc joint replaced that

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Volvo
8/6/2017
Volvo Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

You can remove the driveshaft and just use it as a front wheel drive vehicle but that isn't going to change anything if you need a transfer case. The transfer case is still going to be in place with all internal components still moving as they normally would and power will still be going to the right CV shaft through the transfer case. Removing the rear driveshaft will take a little bit of the load off it but if there is an internal failure the transfer case is still going to need to be replaced.

I hope that helps! My goal is your satisfaction today. If you feel I've been professional and helpful, your 5-star rating at this time is most appreciated. However, if you still need my help you can reply back here and I'll respond as soon as possible! Thank you!

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician