Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I've had 10 years of experience on the car line at 2 Volvo dealerships, Quality level Volvo tech.
29534642

My radio Volvo hu-615 will not do anything but say off when

Customer Question

My radio Volvo hu-615 will not do anything but say off when I try to turn on its blank. We just bought this car
JA: Have you checked the fuse?
Customer: No not yet
JA: What is the model/year of your Volvo?
Customer: Volvo s40 I'm in passenger seat we are driving now
JA: What year is your S40?
Customer: 2001
JA: Are you fixing your S40 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I took the radio out and got the serial number
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thats it for now
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Edward replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

Expert:  Edward replied 2 months ago.

The problem is your radio is locked out, When don't have to use the car for a few hours do this, turn the key on in the 1st position (ACC position) Turn the radio ON to where it shows OFF. After about 2-3 hours the radio will then say CODE. There is a 4 digit code that is entered at that time to make the radio work. It's a security feature and has to be entered when the radio says CODE. If it says OFF, then somebody likely entered the wrong code twice and that locks it out. If you don't see the code in the owners manual, wrote on the radio, or in the glove box somewhere, you will likely have to call a Volvo dealer or stop by one with your VIN number. Call the parts department or go directly to the parts counter. it only takes them about 10 seconds to look it up via the VIN number. That is what you will have to do to get the radio operational again. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you!