Volvo

Have Volvo Questions? Ask a Volvo Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Volvo

Warning light...Urgent message. Thought it was alternator.

Customer Question
Warning light...Urgent message....

Warning light...Urgent message. Thought it was alternator. Going to get it serviced on Monday. Driving this afternoon, light came on for about 5 minutes. Ususally goes off when I am driving. This time the widows lost power only in the front and it was difficult to drive...steering was difficult and it was moving slowly. I turned off the car. Went to turn it on and it was dead....wouldn't turn over. Left the car sit for 30 minutes. Tired again. The car turned on...no light and drove home 15 minutes away with no issues and no warning light!

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

Not sure what you mean. This was the first time I lost any power. Light has been coming on and off for about a week now. Getting more frequent...

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Volvo?

XC90 2006 V8

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your XC90 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Took it to mechanic yesterday and he thought it was the alternator. Was going to bring it in on Monday to replace

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Volvo
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/29/2017
Volvo Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required.

First thing I would do is get the battery and alternator checked at the local auto parts store to make sure its charging right and the battery is good, if all this is good while your there have them see if any codes are in the vehicle

Battery was checked and determined the alternator was most likely the problem. However the car died today while driving. I let the car sit for 30 minutes. It started right back up. The power seemed fine and I drove home with no issues or warning light(20 minute ride). I'm confused..because I was under the impression that if it was the alternator the car should not have started again.

it will start again, all the alternator does is charge, you battery at rest will regain a small charge and that prob how it started again, so did you have the alternator replaced yet?

No. we are going to get it replaced on Monday as scheduled.

oh ok good, so what other questions do you have ?

What is your thought on new vs remanufactured alternators? The car has close to 200k miles? Is it worth the investment?

New is always best I have seen the remans die out quick, it very hit or miss with those and if its just a alternator, I would think it was worth it, those cars dont sell for much running or not so its best just to drive it until it just costs to much to repair and then you can usually sell the whole thing online not running for some good money,

Mechanic01
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician