Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

My car has a high pitch noise when going slow speeds. 2007…

Customer Question
My car has a...

My car has a high pitch noise when going slow speeds

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

2007 Volvo s40i

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your S40 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. I changed the hub assembly in my car today. Recently replaced the front cv axles, brakes, rotors, sway bar links and ball joints

Mechanic's Assistant: How old are the brakes? How many miles on the car?

2 months old, 123,000

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No thank you

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Volvo
7/28/2017
Volvo Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 9 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required.

Can you elaborate on the noise and location of noise and all conditions noise is present ?

I am pretty proficient in working on my own car and identifying issues but this one has me stumped. The noise is high pitched almost like a constant singing tone if that makes sense. It only occurs when driving at slow speeds 5-20mph. It's not the brakes or rotors since I recently replaced them and this sound happens with or without brakes being applied.

do you know where it is coming from or what area of the car ? does it sound like a wind noise ?

It's coming from the underside of the car area. And no it doesn't sound like wind. It's a high harmonic sound. It's more likely to happen if I am driving at slow speeds for a extended period of time. On base the highest speed limit is 25 so it typically happens there and is embarrassing.

do you have the vin number for this? I think I may have found the problem I need to verify if your car is the right one

YV1MS382872315821

remove the oil dipstick and see if the noise goes away

Why would I need to remove the oil dipstick? And I'm not sure why but the sound did not occur yesterday when I was driving but I didn't drive that far either so maybe that has something to do with it.

Its a problem with the oil system in the motor its a diagnostic procedure to identify this issue,

Enes
Enes
Enes, VOLVO Master Technician