sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

For the second time in about three week's, my 2009 XC90

Customer Question

For the second time in about three week's, my 2009 XC90 would not start. Both times I jumped the car, it started right up , but showed the code " reduced engine performance " After the first time three weeks ago it has been starting every day, and running great until yesterday. Glen from Salem
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: I put the volt meter on it , all looked normal Around 12.4 before starting , 14/14.5 at isle, and anywhere from 13.9 to 14.7 with all accessories on.
JA: Are you fixing your XC90 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I was going to buy a new battery, but the " reduced engine performance " code concerns me, Could it be the ETM ? Can I replace this myself ?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, and thank you Pearl, Glen
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 9 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are many things that can cause the reduced performance message to appear and it will require some testing to determine what is going on. If it only happens after a jump start then it's most likely due to low system voltage.

The first step in diagnosing the problem is to use a scan tool or code reader to see what fault codes are setting when the warning displays. do you know what codes are setting?