Volvo

Have Volvo Questions? Ask a Volvo Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Volvo

1999 s80t6 need to replace timing belt removed intake pulley

Customer Question
1999 s80t6 need...
1999 s80t6 need to replace timing belt
removed intake pulley assuming the hub would stay on the shaft.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Volvo
5/12/2017
Volvo Mechanic: Barry Sergeant,
 replied 6 months ago
Barry Sergeant

Hi Bo, my name is ***** ***** to Just Answer. I would Be happy to help you with your Volvo.

Did you remove the bolt in the center of the intake cam sprocket or the 3 outer bolts?

I took off the three outer bolts that hold the gear to the shaft. I guess I'm not quite sure what you mean by the center bolt, all I see is a smooth cavity in the end of the camshaft. My problem is that I removed the intake pulley, without locking the cams from the back of the engine, and now I don't know where my camshaft is positioned.
Volvo Mechanic: Barry Sergeant,
 replied 6 months ago

No problem. Let's see what we can do to get it back in time. Did you have the motor positioned at top dead center when you removed the cam sprocket?

the mark on the crankshaft pulley is lined up with the mark on the block.
Volvo Mechanic: Barry Sergeant,
 replied 6 months ago

Ok, remove the covers from the rear of the camshafts. You should see an off center slot in the rear of each camshaft. You need to align those 2 slots. I use a flat piece of metal ground down to fit into each slot. Then take another flat piece of metal ( I use angle iron) and place it across the two pieces stuck into the cams. Use two small c-clamps or vise grips and clamp each of the pieces in the cams to the other flat piece of metal. This will hold all of the cams straight. you can then install the sprocket with it's timing mark aligned with the top cover. After that you are ready to install the belt.

Volvo Mechanic: Barry Sergeant,
 replied 6 months ago

Sometimes it helps to remove the power steering pump reservoir and coolant overflow tank to get a straighter view of the timing marks. Especially for the exhaust cam.

Ok thanks. Is there a possibility that the cams will be off 180 degrees, or does it not matter?
Volvo Mechanic: Barry Sergeant,
 replied 6 months ago

180 out will matter. The slot in the back of the cam be should offset. Your exhaust cam hasn't moved. The intake probably snapped to the closest light spot between cam lobes. You shouldn't need to move it far to put it back to TDC. Use a mirror to see the slots in the cams if you can't get a good look at them. You should not have to move the cam more than 30 degrees.

Allright that helps a lot. Thank you very much for the help, this shouldn't be too hard now.
Volvo Mechanic: Barry Sergeant,
 replied 6 months ago

If you are unsure about anything take a picture with your phone and send it to me.

Volvo Mechanic: Barry Sergeant,
 replied 6 months ago

Were you able to get your S80 back together? Did you have any other questions?

Enes
Enes
Enes, VOLVO Master Technician