Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Toyota mastertech
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer
24571351

I have 2009 XC90 V8 R Model with factory halogen lights. If

Customer Question

I have 2009 XC90 V8 R Model with factory halogen lights. If I buy a set off factory HID lights from ebay are they plug and play?
Category: Volvo
Expert:  internal88 replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I'm Brandon.

No, they are not plug and plug.

The HID will need a ballast module to be able to work.

The electronic ballast used for HID lights (which are essentially gas-discharge lamps) is a DC to AC inverter with a current-limited or sometimes regulated output. There is also a circuit called a "striker" which is usually integrated into the ballast module. The striker generates a train of very high voltage (2-5kV) pulses which cause the gas inside the lamp to break down and ionize. Once the gas ionizes, it will conduct electrical current at a much lower voltage, and then the high frequency AC output of the inverter continues to keep it ionized and in operation.

Please rate me positive, thank you!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I could google this answer. I want to know specific to Volvo. How are the 2 different headlight types wired differently from the factory. I assume that the wiring harness for the entire car are not different. Is it same plug? Ballast is built into the headlight assembly so what else is different?

I will turn it over to another turn. Please don't rate me.

Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech here to helpI read your question and ready to answer . Even though the previous tech did describe it's function correctly they are plug and play kits that simply plug in series between the existing headlight harness at the bulb. You just mount that ballast close to the headlight so the wires reach and unhook the harness at the bulb one end goes to the bulb from the ballast the other hooks to the wiring from the car. I have put many of these kts in all different makes and models, usually instructions come with them .Is there anything else I can do for you? if not please rate my service.