Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2004 Volvo S80 T6 with about 170K miles. This

morning, it jolted when starting...
I have a 2004 Volvo S80 T6 with about 170K miles. This morning, it jolted when starting up at a stop light. At the next stop light, there was little to no power being transferred to the wheels, even though the RPMs went up. After turning off the engine for a while, I was able to hobble to a parking lot, but once stopped, it would not move in either direction. I am assuming a transmission failure, but am looking for validation because I am still trying to decide where to take it (AMCCO, the Dealer, or the dump). I had the ABS module rebuilt about six months ago for another issue. Since everything is interconnected, I am wondering if that could be the problem.
3/29/2017
Gunvir Singh

Have you checked the transmission fluid level?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
not yet. I will and get back to you.

Ok.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The fluid was checked and it looks okay.
Do you have a scan tool to check codes.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sadly, no.

How many miles do you have on the vehicle and do you see any metal shavings on the transmission fluid dipstick ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
About 177K and the fluid seemed fine. Slippery and pinkish reddish. I got the codes checked. Nothing explicitly transmission related. There were an evaporator code and another emission code or two. I am trying to get the exact codes for you.

ok.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can't get the codes. The person I had check them erased them before writing them down. Amateur....

Is your shifer moving looser or freely then usual when you shift from different gears.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No, there is no noticeable difference

Does it try to move at all when you put it in drive or feels like its just in neutral?

Do you hear any rattling or clicking noise when you try to accelerate in drive?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The car does move a little when in drive. At least, initially after starting the car after it has been off for a while. After moving for a bit, once it comes to a stop, it tries to move again, but can't quite do it. There is a rattling noise (maybe more of a winding noise) that pops up right before it stops moving. Once it stops moving, the noise goes away and the car will not move forward or reverse. Turn the car off for a while and the cycle repeats.

With the info available it does sound like a transmission issue. I would still check the axles and catalytic converter before.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Before what? Taking it to a transmission repair shop? Also, what am I checking on the axles and catalytic converter?

Yes. i'm sure at the transmission shop they will check the same thing. Need to make sure axles joints are not damaged and also checked if catalytic converter is clogged. Both these issues can give you a similar symp***** *****ke a faulty transmission.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay, thanks.

You're welcome and good luck with your vehicle, And please don’t forget to rate my performance in the upper left corner otherwise i don’t get compensated. Thank you and have a blessed day.

Gunvir Singh
Gunvir Singh
Gunvir Singh
Gunvir Singh