EricFromCT
EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master certified L1, L2, Diesel Certified 16 years experience
34559540

I have an issue with my s40 2005 t5 6 speed, I have a no

Customer Question

Hi, yes I have an issue with my s40 2005 t5 6 speed, I have a no crank condition and a IMMOBILISER SEE MANUAL message in the dash. The car was in the garage for 6 months without a battery, I am wondering if the computer and key are not synced anymore.
JA: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?
Customer: Yes I did. No leaking, tried multiple battery, I am a mechanic myself.
JA: Are you fixing your S40 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Tried the lock/unlock 5 times, tried the on/off 5 times, check if computer was plugged right, check all fuses and fuse box connections
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The car came in my garage for a head gasket job, it was cranking and starting fine when it came in.
Category: Volvo
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Key fob lock and unlock function is working, I tried to start the car with 2 different key did not work.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 6 months ago.

Hi. The immobilizer message only comes up when there is a problem reading the ignition keys. So yes, I would say that the keys need to be reprogrammed back to the vehicle. Sometimes on these when they site dead for a long time the computers internal memory can get erased.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok how can i do that without towing the car?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Also, how can i make sure it is not the antenna ring or a wire. I have access to snap-on scanners, solus, verdict or verus. I dont want to find the issue before spending money.Thanks

You can check the modules for any codes with your scanners. It is very rare to have a problem with the transceiver ring. If you want to check the wiring you can get the wiring schematic and check continuity of the immobilizer circuits.

You can purchase your own key programming tool online if you are interested in that. Also mobile locksmiths can come out to you and program keys as well.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
How can i know if the problem is the key or the computer?

The computers dont just generally go bad. At the dealer, and what you should do, is to try and program the suspect keys first. Then, at that point, if the keys do not program then you will have to start trying to figure out what the problem could be.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok, so far to program the key i tried on/off 5times in the ignition then on for 1minute. Do you have a procedure? Or i need to go at the dealer get the key programmed?Cause the lock and unlock function are working fine. And the key did not run out of battery, the computer was unplugged for a while tho.

The key coding and the remotes are stored as different items in the computer. The remote can work and the key not work. When no keys will start the vehicle they have to be programmed with a scan tool by the dealer or a locksmith.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The dealer will need the car right? I am in canada do you know a locksmith company that can help with that?? Montreal, Quebec, Canada to be more precise

Yes they need the car. CLICK HERE for mobile locksmith

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ill give them a call. Thanks

You are welcome. Thank you and please take a moment to rate my assistance please.

Thank you for using Just Answer and please take a moment to rate my assistance with your question. And, as always, after rating the question will remain open for any follow-ups you may have. Thank you.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I will review once the problem is solved. Now i cant reach the auto-key guy. I have no answer from him. Do you have another key contact??Thanks
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I reached 6 locksmiths in my area, none of them does volvo.... do you have another contact that would reprogram vovlo?? They are all telling me that i need to go to the dealer.Can i change the computer and key with another matching set? Would it work?

I have no more contacts in your area. You may be able to purchase your own programming tool online. I think you are going to have to go to the dealer if purchasing a tool is not an option. I have never attempted to change computer and keys before. But the computer is vin coded so you may end up having to program the keys anyway.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
but lets say i take a key and a computer from the same car, do you know if it will work without reprogramming?

I am not sure. I have never attempted. It is worth a shot if you have keys and computer available.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi, i contacted 2 dealers for my key and they both said they have never seen that and they doubt it is the problem. And no locksmith does volvos around here. Are you sure it is the computer and key??

Here is some info on the immobilizer system. CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The note At the begining of that tech note says that s40 system is different. Is there any information in particular that you know applies to the s40??Thanks

See if any one of these articles with diagnostic flow charts will help. CLICK HERE. CLICK HERE

Please read this:
Understand it's not one answer and done. We can communicate back and forth many times.
1. I am an independent auto mechanic and do not work at or for Just Answer.
2. When you're pleased or happy with my assistance or efforts to help you, at the top of the screen please rate me or reply and say "I'm satisfied".
3. I only get credit for my work from your question value deposit when you rate me on this screen. Rating does not close the post and you're more than welcome to follow up.
Thanks for using Just Answer, Eric

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
These 2 diagnostic chart are valuable information this is the kind of information I am looking for!!! Thanks!So far i was not satisfied by the information you provided me that is why i did not rate you. Now we are going in the right direction with thise diagnostic charts.Thanks

Ok. Just ask for what you need. I do not know what info you have or the progress you are making on your own time.

Please read this:
Thanks for using Just Answer, Eric