FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFICATION, AA DEGREE AUTOMOTIVE/DIESEL
1627031

Have a 2009 S80 w/73k miles. Heard terrible engine noise.

Customer Question

Have a 2009 S80 w/73k miles. Heard terrible engine noise. Took car to volvo dealer who replaced steering pump. Noise still exist. Technician now say noise is coming from inside engine, but not exactly sure what is causing noise - he did mention some about a "counter balance" something
JA: Have you checked the fluids recently?
Customer: Yes, I did not finish previous message. I don't think we are talking about a low fluids problem. Your thoughts.
JA: Are you fixing your S80 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Please read my message. I took the car to a Volvo dealer for repair. They said problem was a faulty steering pump which they replaced, but this did not correct the noise problem
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Volvo
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Mechanic who serviced my car said noise was possibly a "counter-shaft bearing noise.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 7 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** you tell me if the noise was like a grinding type or noise or more of a knocking noise?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I would describe noise as more of a constant grinding noise rather than a knocking noise. As I posted earlier, the volvo mechanic originally thought the noise was coming from the steering pump. Now he thinks it is coming from inside the engine, likely from the "countershaft bearing. If in fact the noise is from a faulty countershaft bearing, what is the risk to the engine if it fails. Also, is this a common or rare problem with 2009 S80's?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I do not want you to call me. Whatever information you can provide via email or whatever without any added cost is all I want.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 7 months ago.

We can continue here without and additional costs. I have one more question, which engine do you have in your Volvo?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
V8, all wheel drive. Before I let a mechanic start tearing down the engine (at great expense), how can a noise problem within an engine be isolated and its cause be identified. The volvo dealership where I take the car has never run into a noisy countershaft bearing before. I am looking for answers to a problem that will most likely be very costly to repair.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 7 months ago.

Thank you. Being that it is the V8 model I doubt it is the countershaft bearing. I usually remove the engine drive belt first and run the engine to see if it goes away. If it continues then it is inside of the engine. I would then usually remove the front engine cover because it is more likely that the noise is coming from the front of the engine. If the vehicle is well taken care of then it is unlikely that it is an internal bearing problem. Since the power steering repair did not fix the vehicle I would request to be refunded that money also.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Two more questions:
1. After removing the front engine cover, what worn part or problem are you most likely to find?
2. What is one good website where I can find troubleshooting information about Volvo S80's?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
When can I expect an answer to my previous two questions?