jim
jim, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified A6, A8,L1 and California Licensed Smog Technician
25319281

I miss experiencing overheating and coolant keeps

Customer Question

I miss experiencing overheating and coolant keeps disappearing with no visible leaks
JA: How old are the hoses? And have you tested the actual mix of your coolant?
Customer: I had four Machanic's see that car three have no clue and the last machanic is a Volvo speacailist and he claimed he fixed the issue but still I'm over heating! He changed one hose and replaced my coolant resivoiur
JA: What is the model/year of your Volvo?
Customer: 2005 Volvo s40 t5
JA: Are you fixing your S40 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'm desperate I e done nothing but changed spark plugs myself
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I just don't know anything at this point
Category: Volvo
Expert:  jim replied 10 months ago.

If there are no visable signs of leaks, it sounds like the coolant is leaking internally in the engine and coming out the exhaust. You need to have a dye test done on the vehicle to determine if there is a leak internal. The head gasket is the most likely cause of this problem.

Expert:  jim replied 10 months ago.

Just following up to see if you need further assistance with this question, if not please accept the answer and give me a 5 star rating. Thank you and have a happy holiday.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi I found no white smoke coming from my exhaust. I did however see that I am leaking hard on the right side but I don't know from where!!! I can
Expert:  jim replied 10 months ago.

So you have discovered a leak, now you just need to fix leak and refill coolant and this should correct your overheating problem.