sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I have a 2002 s60 awd volvo. It has a vibration that becomes

Customer Question

I have a 2002 s60 awd volvo. It has a vibration that becomes very noticable around 55-60. I have ruled out tire balance problem. Was told it is lower control arms but I don't think that makes a lot of sense. If the arms are the problem wouldn't it be at all speeds. Why does vibration diminidh when I back off the gas or when it is coasting down hill. Any idea?
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: Engin runs good. OK on gas.
JA: Are you fixing your S60 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. Like I say I replaced all four tires and had balanced. I moved front to back to check tires/wheels.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Volvo
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There may be a control arm issue that's unrelated but I don't believe that's causing your vibration. If you're having a throttle sensitive vibration then it's a driveline issue. The problem is almost surely a worn inner CV joint but could possibly be a rear driveshaft issue also. If the control arms are loose and allowing the CV joint operating angles to change under acceleration then that could be a factor, but I don't expect the control arms are the cause of the vibration.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
When you say "inner CV joint" are you referring to joint on axle or joint on the shaft that connects front to rear wheels?
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 9 months ago.

CV joints are the tripod joints inside the boots of a CV shaft. The inner joints are the ones nearest the inside/center of the vehicle.