Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I have a 2007 xc90. no air is flowing through the defrost

Customer Question

i have a 2007 xc90. no air is flowing through the defrost vent, but I can hear the fan blowing and air comes from all other vents when they are selected.
JA: Do the vents feel cold? Is there a coolant leak?
Customer: Ac and heat work fine. it just doesn't come through the defrost vent
JA: Are you fixing your XC90 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I removed the cabin filter to see if that made a difference, but it did nothing
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: not that I can think of
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 10 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner past midnight.

• Sorry no one has helped yet for the question fees you have already paid.
  • I can help with this question.
  • Reply and let me know when your able to work on this concern.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Do you have any time over this weekend?

This is going to be an issue with the climate control module, defrost damper motor, defrost door, or the wiring. I need to know which liter engine you have and do you have electrical diag experience and can you work in the dash?

What now

1. You have asked a question.
  2. You have paid a deposit and received an info request and or answer(s).
  3. Now it is time to follow up if needed or rate my answer, hopefully 5 STAR EXCELLENT. Sometimes the rating fails, responding with (I am a pleased) will suffice.
  4. You are more than welcome to still follow up. I want you pleased with me and my answer(s).

Thanks for using Just Answer, and rating me so I am compensated, Chris

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It's a V8. I do not have elec diag experience and I've never removed a dash. Here are a few more details: The vent selector buttons definitely work. You can hear and feel air changing from floor to dash when selected. You can also hear the dash vents close off when defrost is selected, but no air comes through the defrost vent. I assume that there must be a vent door that is supposed to open air to the defrost that is not opening. Is this something that I can tackle myself or should I bring it to dealership? I'm just afraid that repair at a Volvo dealership will be very expensive, but this is my 17 year old daughters car and it's winter. I can't let her drive it safely without a working defroster.

You are correct this is an expensive repair at the dealer. Because it is a involved repair taking alot of work.

Here are the wire diagrams.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/441.pdf

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/442.pdf

Can you access the defrost damper door actuator, remove it and verify the door will move and get air from the defrost?