Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 20 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing
12772297

My 850 Turbo wagon got stuck in park. I noticed that the

Customer Question

My 850 Turbo wagon got stuck in park. I noticed that the headlamps would not work as well. I pushed the shift lever down hard. It finally engaged.
JA: Do you have brake lights? Have any trouble codes popped up?
Customer: I believe I have brake lights. What OBDII codes am I looking for?
JA: What year is your Turbo?
Customer: 1996.
JA: Are you fixing your Turbo yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I do what I can (smile)? I'm thinking about swapping out the handle with the knob.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Where are you located?
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Matt replied 10 months ago.

Hello

I'd 1st investigate the connections to the brake pedal switch and the wiring to it for any crimp damage or fraying. Ideally use a multimeter to check that the switch is working OK. This is because the gearbox controller won't allow the lever to shift from park until it sees that your foot is on the brakes

There should be 2 switches one for the brake lights and the other for the gearbox and both are located at the top of the brake pedal in the drivers footwell.

If this is OK then check the selector lever linkage for any broken parts and or missing bolts or if a bolt is partially out and is jamming things up

Expert:  Matt replied 10 months ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you