Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

Will not start. No corrosion intermittent starting. 2006…

Customer Question
Will not start Mechanic's...

Will not start

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

No corrosion intermittent starting

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Volvo?

2006 xc90

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your XC90 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. Tired running diagnostics with scanner but no codes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Volvo
10/28/2016
Volvo Mechanic: Edward, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

Does the engine not crank at all when this problem occurs?, or the engine does crank but it fails to start? Thank you. Is this a cranking problem, or a starting problem? thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My Volvo will crank but not start. sometimes it starts sometimes it doesn't

Alright, and no codes are stored and you haven't seen a check engine light correct?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
that is correct. we got it started last night by jumping it when the battery finally died from trying

It's probably going to be fuel pressure related. You haven't by chance checked the fuel pressure when this problem occurs have you?

About anything else would set a code is my reasoning there.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He pulled the hose at the rail and had fuel there. He did not check pressure.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
fuel was flowing at the rail

Alright, it needs 40 psi. Do you remember if the fuel pump recall was done on it? The PEM is a problem, as well as the fuel pressure sensor on the end of the fuel rail near the injectors. Sometimes it will set a code and sometimes not. You could try some starting fluid when it didn't start, and if it ran on that while spraying it into the air box, it would give further indication it's fuel pressure related. the PEM is under the fender well on the drivers side, If you take it off and shake it and it sounds like gravel in it, it's a problem. If you want to pull up the back seat, (pull it straight up and hard) look on the passenger side and you'll see a BLUE wire going to the fuel pump, if you have 12 volts on that BLUE wire, and 0 fuel pressure when cranking, then the pump is likely bad, but if you have 0 volts on it, I would go straight for the PEM next. I believe you'll find your problem there. Here is a wiring diagram that will help. Start on around page 60 for engine wiring diagram,

http://volvowiringdiagrams.com/volvo/XC70%3AXC90%20Wiring%20Diagrams/TP3989202%202006%20V70%20V70R%20XC70%20XC90%20Wiring%20Diagram.pdf

Look at that stuff and let me know, I doubt it's spark related at the plugs, as when spark goes on these it's usually gone for good.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
not sure on the fuel pump recall. how can I verify?
Call closest dealer and give them the vin number, some of those have timed out now tho, I cant remember if 06 is still covered.
If you don't have a fuel pressure gauge you can borrow one from a local auto parts store and check the fuel pressure at the rail it should have 40 pounds when cranking
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
if 40 PSI is at the rail check the PEM next
no, if its got 40 psi. PEM is good
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
fuel pump good too? Could it be loose battery cabling to starter?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no recalls on my vin
Correct pump is good too, as long as it's cranks then the battery connection is good
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
then why would it start when he jumped it?
I should rephrase that as long as the battery is charged and it cranks then the connection is good, but you had this problem when it was cranking fine and the battery was fully charged correct?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
would not start kept trying until battery died. jumped it and it started right up. The problem started with turning the engine off and then trying to restart within 2 minutes. we waited about 15-20 minutes and it would start again. this happened randomly
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
my wife went out this morning and it started right up no problem.
I follow you, we need to get a fuel pressure gauge on the car when it won't start
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What will that tell us? Fuel pump or pem going bad?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will do that when it acts up again

it will tell you that fuel pressure is the problem, and either the PEM or the PUMP or the fuel pressure sensor is likely the problem, But the first thing to do if you show low fuel pressure, is to check voltage on the BLUE wire at the fuel pump, if it shows 12 volts (or close to battery voltage) then the PEM and the Fuel Pressure Sensor are fine.