Volvo

Have Volvo Questions? Ask a Volvo Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Volvo

We have a 2004.5 Volvo S40 T5 with issues. While driving the

Customer Question
We have a 2004.5 Volvo...
We have a 2004.5 Volvo S40 T5 with issues. While driving the car seemed to get hot and shut off. The temperature gauge showed normal. It will not start. The engine will turn but just not start. We've ran the diagnostics check and are getting several generic codes stating the engine is running lean. Codes received are P2187, P0238, P0113 and P0026. The first code received is the P2187. We are needing some direction on where to go from here. Also noted tonight their appears to be low voltage -- the battery is at 12.3 but when you try to turn the switch it doesn't turn over
JA: What is the voltage at the battery?
Customer: 12.3
JA: Are you fixing your S40 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes trying to- we've done the diagnostic checks and got the codes noted above
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so I've already done the $5 and just waiting for a response
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Volvo
10/27/2016
Volvo Mechanic: David Craig, Auto Mechanic replied 1 year ago
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. allow me a moment to get that information for you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Appreciate it

for the p2187 check for a crack in the PCV Oil trap.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What and where is that?

ill send you a pic as soon as im able ..thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thanks

you have to take the entire top of the engine apart to get to it. so we will move on to the no start issue. do you have a meter?

what is the voltage at the battery right now?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
12.3 not under a load -- under a load it shows 6

6 when trying to start?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Correct
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Also have had jumper cables hooked to it trying to start as well

with jumper cables it was reading 6 volts too????

if so you need to replace the starter.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
With jumper cables it's 12.3

when trying to start its 12.3?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
With the cables yes -- without it's at 6

replace the battery.

the ccr's are depleted in the battery

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Would that cause the other issues as well

It very well can. with out a properly charging battery (14.4vdc) a lot of things arent going to work right.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok -- should we replace the battery to see if it cranks then re-run diagnostics?

absolutely

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK -- it will be tomorrow before we can get the battery and test. Can we check back with you afterwards?

sure. right here.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK -- we appreciate the assistance. We'll be in touch!
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can you tell us exactly what battery is needed?

obviously you want the one that is for your vehicle, but you want one with at least 700 ccr's or more.

have you replaced the battery?

do you still need assistance?

hello???

Enes
Enes
Enes, VOLVO Master Technician