Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I've had 10 years of experience on the car line at 2 Volvo dealerships, Quality level Volvo tech.
29534642

I have a 2004 volvo s80. My car will start 90% of the time

Customer Question

I have a 2004 volvo s80. My car will start 90% of the time however as I drive my dashboard flickers and then turns off. I then lose my blinkers. Also when this happens if I am stopped and then start to go again I don't have much power what could this be?
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Edward replied 10 months ago.

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

Expert:  Edward replied 10 months ago.

So the entire dash board goes dark correct? is the SRS or ABS light on now since you've noticed this problem by chance? thanks.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
entire dash goes out I can't tell how fast I'm going or anything...no lights are on when it happens...my srs airbag light is on all the time though. My headlights flicker when it happens as well.
Expert:  Edward replied 10 months ago.

Does the car always crank fine?

Expert:  Edward replied 10 months ago.

crank and start fine I should say?

The battery stays charged right?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Once I'm driving and that happens if I shut my car off it will not start again. I have to let it sit for a day or two then it will start again.
Expert:  Edward replied 10 months ago.

Does it crank when it doesn't start? or you hit the key and you get nothing? like the battery is dead? thank you.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
you hear a click but it just won't start.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The radio and interior lights will still work as well
Expert:  Edward replied 10 months ago.

So the engine won't even crank correct?

Have you tried to jump start it ever when this occurs?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have tried to jump start it numerous times it does not work and no the engine won't turn over just a click
Expert:  Edward replied 10 months ago.

Do you get a "START PREVENTED" try again message by chance?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No I hAve not seen that at all.
Expert:  Edward replied 10 months ago.

Alright, This problem is likely the Central Electric Module (CEM) and/or the DIM (Drivers Information Module) or the instrument cluster is what it's commonly referred to in this country. I would need to run diagnostics and pull codes to be sure. But, there really isn't much that would cause that problem other than a dead battery, and you stated you tried to jump start it. So that would have likely worked if it was just the battery. I'm going to say you have a CEM or DIM going bad, and it in turn shuts down the network and you get all kinds of odd electrical problems when the CEM fails. You can check out Xemodex.com for a replacement CEM and DIM, I believe it's either one or the other or possibly both failing. But again, you will need to get the codes checked out to be sure which one is failing. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I had someone hook my car up for codes but nothing popped up. Are they expensive to replace? Should I just replace both?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks for all your help I appreciate it
Expert:  Edward replied 10 months ago.

They definitely are from the dealer. Xemodex.com is a lot better on price. But again, I would get someone with a scan tool to read the codes in the CEM and the DIM. not just the ECM, the ECM (Engine Control Module) may be clear of codes, but the CEM will have codes stored, if the CEM has no codes stored, then I would probably replace the starter motor, and the DIM in that case.

Expert:  Edward replied 10 months ago.

Let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you!