Volvo

Have Volvo Questions? Ask a Volvo Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Volvo

Replacing alternator, Battery good alt test failed at

Customer Question
Replacing alternator JA: Have you done...
Replacing alternator
JA: Have you done a battery test? Has there been any change in headlight brightness?
Customer: Battery good alt test failed at autozone.
JA: What is the model/year of your Volvo?
Customer: 2001 s40
JA: Are you fixing your S40 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes now I am removing bracket
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: There is a relay under the dash by brake pedal that was hot 12 volt
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Volvo
9/12/2016
Volvo Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 1 year ago
Pete, Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Are you asking for the procedure on how to replace the alternator?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Need to remove bracket to get alt out
Trouble finding bolts
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hot relay by brake pedal found while trying to diagnose electrical sit

Here is the procedure on replacing the alternator.

Removing the generator (GEN)
Open the hood.
Remove all the engine splash guards if installed.

Preparations

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fw7kn780q7ymnkw/a-09-12.gif?dl=0

- Make a note of the anti-theft radio code
- Switch off the ignition
- Disconnect the battery negative terminal.

Removing the poly V-belts

Remove the power steering pump. Place the power steering pump to one side

https://www.dropbox.com/s/atdzqmfhhsxx42r/al-09-12.gif?dl=0

- Remove the lower screw from the mounting bracket (A)
- Remove the bracket between the power steering pump and the intake manifold
- Remove the cable clip from the bracket
- Remove the connector assembly from the bracket
- Remove the mounting screws between the spokes on the pulley
- Lift out the pump. Place the pump to one side in the engine compartment
- Move the bracket (A) sideways.

Disconnect the electrical wiring from the generator (GEN)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zwlfe84m9tjkw87/alt-09-12.gif?dl=0

- Remove the connector
- Remove the wiring clamp
- Remove the positive lead from the generator (GEN).

Removing the generator (GEN)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t3fzk8sxoyda6d3/b-09-12.gif?dl=0

- Remove the upper mounting screw
- Remove the two upper screws for the air conditioning (A/C) compressor. Move the screws approximately 30 mm forward
- Remove the two lower screws for the air conditioning (A/C) compressor
- Lift the generator (GEN) out using a twisting movement.

Replacing the pulley and freewheel
Use special tool (###) ###-####Counterhold

Reverse for installation.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What about hot relay under dash above brake pedal 12 v stamped on it. Stayed hot without key in

Have you had any electrical issues at all like a dead or weak battery or any other faults at all?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
weak battery plus signals not working at all after replacing bulbs

Is there a label for this relay at all on what this relay feeds in your fuse or relay panel chart?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
PN 472210
12V
Nothing on fuse cover in engine plus can't find interior fuses???

Below is a chart for your drivers side under dash fuse and relay panel.Tell me if it is one of the relays shown here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6698hpzomfhxa4g/rel-09-12.gif?dl=0

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am replacing alt because weak battery multi times plus power street in fluid leaked excessively on it
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No it is a seperate item not on panel

O.k.,that is your under dash interior fuse box.

Is there any way you can take a picture of this relay and upload it here?

O.k.,this relay is shown for body electronics like the lighting system.Have you tried to replace this relay at all?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No

It is possible that this relay itself is at fault stuck on causing the lighting issue here.I have seen these relays fail before needing replaced.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks. got alt in still have to get belt on though. Then can I start it or should I get a new relay first?

You can start it from there if you like.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Pete, Technician