Volvo

Have Volvo Questions? Ask a Volvo Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Volvo

I back, gotdisrupted earlier. Have a 08 s80 3.2. Prblem: got

Customer Question
I back, gotdisrupted earlier. Have...
I back, gotdisrupted earlier. Have a 08 s80 3.2. Prblem: got up this morning and the car would not start .. pos battery terminal totally corrorid .. cleaned with baking soda .. still no start. Two dash lights came on: abs and skidding car symbol. Oh, chk eng also. Dstc reads on the menu
JA: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?
Customer: Makes a single click sound
JA: Are you fixing your S80 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Howdo i check fuses
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Volvo
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Am i doing something wrong .. havent heard back from the mechanic? Will I be contacted by email?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I need to know something before.i take it into the shop tomorrow morning.
9/6/2016
Volvo Mechanic: David Craig, Auto Mechanic replied 1 year ago
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi Im David, have you had the vehicle scanned for codes? the abs and trac lights dont have anything to do with it not starting. can you hear the fuel pump run when your turn the key to the on position? have you checked for spark? have you checked the fuel pressure?

check the main fuse at the battery.

check the ecm and starter fuse in the engine compartment fuse box also

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hey David, have not done any of those things. Do not have the equipment to scan. Just went outside to start it to listen for the pump, then I stepped out of the car with ignition on, returned and found a message key not found in car. With that said, whic is the main fuse at the battery. Got the cover off

the main fuse should be on the positive cable, if its not then it should be a large copper type that is actually held on by screws

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Tried pulling the fuse 20amp and it fell to the bottom of the fuse case

oh boy. are there spares in the box?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Does the top piece of the case require a wrench to remove it or does it unsnap?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can we do this by phone

im in the middle of dinner right now, but i will get back with you shortly thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well then im going to eat dinner:)

lol ok

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'll wait for your call.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Looks likes spares off to the side.

if one of them is a 20 amp try it.

when you try to start it, does the red security light go out?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If its in the bottom center then no

does the security light flash?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Are u going to call .. this will take all night.

are you going to accept the phone service? its getting late here. i dont set the prices. its done by the site.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Another 26? Also, at this point my bsttery is going dead .. windows wont go al the way up. The fuses look fine.

ok. well when you get the battery charged. if the security light isnt going out when trying to start, then the immobilizer is not letting the car start. first thing i would do is try another key if you have one. if that doesnt work, disconnect the battery cables, touch them together for 5 seconds then reconnect them. see if that helps. then let me know. thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Batteries dead key won't come out

have someone jump your battery

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I guess we haven't diagnosed the problem does this seem like a job that needs to it looked at by a professional? I thought the dstc would not allow the car to start as a way to protect itself. But you said earlier the one has nothing to do with the other, is that correct

that has nothing to do with it. i cant diagnose a vehicle with a dead battery, and if you dont have the equipment like a meter or scan tool. or if you cant check fuel pressure and voltages. remember, i cant see, smell, feel or hear what is going on with your vehicle.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Agreed

ill opt out and maybe another tech can help you out. good luck

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How much are the meters .. are they universal, does it work on all makes?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Im not a mechanic, just happened to stumble across it and thought i might get a heads up before i take it to the dealership .. dont want to get burned with a$1200 charge.
Volvo Mechanic: Edward, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, Eddie here and I will do my best to help. Looking over this question, I feel that the battery is weak. Can you jumpstart the vehicle? If it will crank and run with jumper cables on it, but will not crank without jumper cables on it, then likely it will need a battery. Voltage to the battery should be around 12-12.5 and will drop to around 10 or so when cranking. shouldn't drop below 10 when cranking. Let me know. thanks.

Edward
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician