Enes
Enes, VOLVO Master Technician
Experience:  18+YEARS WITH VOLVO AS THE MASTER VOLVO MECHANIC&Ase
20168386

Steering wheel locked but wheel is not locked but the car

Customer Question

steering wheel locked but wheel is not locked but the car still wont start Volvo s80 07
JA: Have you applied constant pressure to the steering wheel while turning the key in the ignition?
Customer: car is push botton the key was never insurted everything works lights ect
JA: What year is your S80?
Customer: 07
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: hoping for least expensive route
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I have heard its a modular of some sort my steering wheel is and never was locked and we never insert keys (push button
Category: Volvo
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 11 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad ,Welcome To JustAnswer, I'm reviewing your question and I will be be posting a replay ASAP

is there red security light flashing or steady on ,when you press the push button ?

lets start with a simple master reset , the procedure is below ,do that & let me know .

Master reset Procedure

1- Disconnect Battery Cables ( Negative & Positive Cables )

2- Hold cables Together for 20 secs ,then let go

3- Wait 10 minutes

4- Make sure all doors are closed

5- Reconnect battery Cables

6- Lock & unlock the vehicles using the key from driver door side (if you have a key fob with no blade key, just lock & unlock using the key fob buttons)

7- Enter the vehicle and attempt to start

Chad

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
did everything you said in order still saying steerig wheel locked try again

the steering wheel has a motor to lock it , so either you need a motor or sensor but we cant find out , without hooking it up to a Volvo scanner or equivalent

i m afraid it cant be done without those faults retrieved , if you have access to a Volvo scanner get met the codes and we can go from there or it need to be towed unfortunately.

the procedure earlier was done in case it was a glitch and we can reset the system but obviously we have a bigger failure.

i m sorry for the bad news but i afraid that is the issue here .

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It didn't solve the problem,thanks anyway

i m sorry ,I m not the cause of the problem , I m just the messenger and have to answer correctly since you asked .

good luck