Volvo

Have Volvo Questions? Ask a Volvo Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Volvo

Removed door panel to find a stick holding the window up

Customer Question
onthe right side. Broken regulator...
removed door panel to find a stick holding the window up onthe right side. Broken regulator cable within.Removed the cover in the center of the top in the front to find a connector not attached, and nothing within reach to indicate what that should hook to.
JA: What are all the symptoms you've noticed (e.g. noises, leaks, flashing lights, error codes)?
Customer: removed door panel to find a stick holding the window up onthe right side. Broken regulator cable within.Removed the cover in the center of the top in the front to find a connector not attached, and nothing within reach to indicate what that should hook to.
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: self
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: 'merica
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Volvo
8/7/2016
Volvo Mechanic: Edward, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, Eddie here and I will do my best to help. Is this a hard top or convertible?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
convertible. also, might the top not come down if the windows aren't sensed to be down?

I'm not positive if the top wouldn't work correctly, I think it might, you could try it. Volvo sells the window "cassette" and it's the entire regulator with the motor, and it is high, ebay sells a window repair kit, with the cables, if the motor is good and you hear the motor working, then you may be able to just put cables in it. The window cassette replacement is fairly tough on that model, and it has adjustments and shims that allow you to make sure it seals properly and you don' t have any water leaks, but it is not a pleasant job to do. We charge 5.0 hours at the dealership for that repair fyi .

This is the passenger side correct? drivers side is ok?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I saw those insane prices. I'll be seeking a used/scrap yard one if I can find it. The door switch has 5 wires on the one plug. 4 have less than 1V, one has about 8V. I'll assume this is normal, but neither switch changes the voltage.
The other big concern I have is the connector on the front of the top. Under the panel that hides the manual releases. What is this supposed to connect to? I can't feel anything as far as my wrist can allow.

Your speaking of the plug on the passenger side window switch correct?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
dead center. next to the mirror mount

I think that may be part of a harness that could have went in a hard top. I'm not sure it plugs into anything. Have you had this car awhile where you had full functionality when this plug was unplugged?

I guess my question is did everything work when you got the car, I assume this plug has been unplugged for a while, so if everything did work then my theory would be correct.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
just got it used from ebay. delivered today. The bastard lied about the top working, and said there was nothing wrong with the care except some interior cosmetics. I'm pretty pissed about the whole thing.
That connector has a black zip tie through/around it. Perhaps it doesn't matter on this one. The top movement switch beeps incessantly while in drive. No sound is made, no lights on when pressing the button.

You put on the Emergency brake when trying to lower the top correct?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the dash light shows it is on, and the brake holds the car when tested in drive
If i push the call button, are you my guy to call me?

I probably am not, I have replaced those regulators before, but I don't have much top experience. I've gotta be honest there.

Let me opt out and another Volvo expert may be able to help with that.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thank you!

Absolutely,

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
that connector goes to a motor that should be present. I found a youtube video that shows how to replace the top canvas, and that motor was shown very specifically. No I'm super mad at that guy. Thank you for your time though. I'll certainly be thinking about that window cassette installation.
Enes
Enes
Enes, VOLVO Master Technician