Volvo

Have Volvo Questions? Ask a Volvo Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Volvo

Just returned from a trip and on starting my 2003 the next

Customer Question
Just returned from a long...
Just returned from a long trip and on starting my 2003 the next morning, it was knocking like crazy. Checked oil and it was almost empty. No issues or noises on trip. No oil leaking or sprayed all over engine. Where did it go?
JA: Have you ever replaced the gaskets? Maybe the hoses?
Customer: No, I've had the car less than a year. Don't know if that was done by prior owner.
JA: What is the model of your '03 Volvo?
Customer: Xc90 t6
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: My son filled the oil and reset the check engine light. When the car is started its still knocking but the check engine light did not come back on.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: The only issue I had prior was a slow leak of coolant. Otherwise nothing. The check engine light never came on during our trip from PA to SC and back. No noises or light til the next morning.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Volvo
8/2/2016
Volvo Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here. If you are sure there are no external oil leaks and you where low enough on oil to cause the engine to know then the engine is likely burning the oil and if its still knocking after filling the engine oil level then unfortunately its likely there has been some internal damage done from running it low on oil

Ron, ASE Certified Technician