Volvo

Have Volvo Questions? Ask a Volvo Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Volvo

Its coming up with transmission service req, its ok until

Customer Question
you get to fourth gear...
its coming up with transmission service req, its ok until you get to fourth gear above 2000 rpm then it comes up with - and stays in that gear until you put in park and turn ignition off ? at low revs thru town no issues just when your up to 50-60 mph
JA: When was your transmission fluid last checked?
Customer: just bought car last services 168.000 its now at 252.000, ive looked at it, slightly dirty, is Volvo atf pure red ?
JA: What is the model/year of your Volvo?
Customer: 2002 s60 se 2.5
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes, not much trying to read up on it before I know what I'm getting into
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: it comes up with engine service now and then say once a fortnight, ive only had car 3 weeks
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Volvo
7/21/2016
Volvo Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and thank you for your question,

In order to determine weather the problem you are describing is an internal concern or an electronic control issue the first thing you are going to need to do is to scan the computer system with a Volvo compatible scan tool and see if there are any transmission fault codes setting which there should be if this is a electronic control issue. If you can get this done and post back with the results I can advise you from there.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
do you think it could be electrical?

It is sure very possible, if in fact it is you will usually find the computer will set and store a fault code. With the amount of miles you have on it its may also be a good idea to go ahead and service it.

If you do service it I would consider adding a can of transmission fluid conditioner to the new fluid which may help as well if its something just sticking.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician