Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  32 years Foreign / Domestic Cars All aspects of Diag and Repair
13677702

07 S40 with 59k miles and this message came up, do I need to

Customer Question

07 S40 with 59k miles and this message came up, do I need to take the car to a Volvo dealer?
JA: What year is your S40?
Customer: 2007
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No it's my daughters car and she is at college
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No car has been running well
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

hello, what message?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Engine system service urgent
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

well, this message is kind of generic in fashion, It means the computer detected something at some point for some reason, Could have been a glitch but usually when this message come on? the car will go into "limp mode" meaning it will remain in like 3rd gear so one can get off the road, home safely if nearby etc although one will feel like vehicle has no power, but that is by program and design. No way for me to say if simple fix or more involved,. Step one? get the trouble code stored. I would have her try to drive to local parts store like Autozone, if nearby and have a free code scan, they will tell her what set the code etc. Another thing? if intermittent and vehicle runs and shifts ok? after about 10 drive cycles the message will go off and all should be ok if a glitch but should still get the code and know what set it. Volvo dealer? its your call but most local shops can scan codes and work on these, Some don't but worth a try or dealer is a resort as well. If it wa near you? I would have you unhook the battery for 90 seconds and many times this will do a reset and clear the code and all is ok. If at anytime she notices the vehicle driving real lazy? stuck in 3rd gear? time to park and do what you can to get to a shop or Volvo for a code scan/repair

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

your welcome, without the code, I can only speak from experience and possibles. Please leave feedback for my service provide today. This does NOT close the post should you have any followups after feedback? please come back to THIS same post and thanks