Derek Werner
Derek Werner, Volvo Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1 Advanced Level Specialist, Volvo Master Technician
61695331

I have a 2006 XC 90 and yesterday the Anti Skid maintenance

Customer Question

I have a 2006 XC 90 and yesterday the Anti Skid maintenance light came up. I remmeber it very well that in Apr sane message came up, then the wipers stopped working and the turn signals wont come on. I spnt $3600 to get all that fixed to include tire replacement and reallignment. Is it possible for the sane message to come up again?
JA: Have you checked the fuses? Do you know if there is power to the wiper motor?
Customer: They replaced tge steering wheel module and reloaded the software; replaced clockspring and recalibrated it; replaced all rear brake pds and rotors as well. All done on May 3.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No im just wondering why the message is on again and so afraid tgat it will once again cost me thousands of dollars. Adding the fact that a maintenance service was also done in Jun
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Thats all i have as far as the invoices i kept state
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Volvo Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Derek Werner replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using JustAnswer!

It is very likely there is some other problem with the steering angle sensor or module. It is common for your vehicle year to require a new updated steering angle sensor or AKA clock spring. A failed sensor turns on the anti skid message.

You have already had all of these changed out, it could be possible the system just needs to be relearned again or there is a fault in a different system.

Normally when this problem occurs a new steering angle sensor is installed and the software gets a update this normally fixes the concern.

Unfortunately there is no easy way to retrieve fault codes from the system without a high end scan tool that can pull codes from the stability control system.

After codes are retrieved i can help you further with diagnosing the problem.

It appears the message is related to the repairs you have already paid to have fixed. I would recommend returning to the shop and having them pull codes to see if they may have missed something. If the problem is related to the previous repairs they should fix the fault for free.

If you have any other questions please feel free to ask!

Thanks

Derek