Volvo

Have Volvo Questions? Ask a Volvo Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Volvo

2005 Volvo 2.5t B5254T2 dual VVT. Removed camshaft pulley

Customer Question
without marking or locking the...
2005 Volvo 2.5t B5254T2 dual VVT. Removed camshaft pulley without marking or locking the intakes and exhaust with the tool. I bought the tool now and can't tell the position of the grooves for intake and exhaust at the back of the camshaft. How do I know which position the grooves should be in order to lock them with the camshaft alignment toll?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Volvo
7/12/2016
Volvo Mechanic: David Craig, Auto Mechanic replied 1 year ago
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi Im Dave, the alignment tool should only fit one way. get the cams turned to where the tool slides into the slots.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That's easy to do, the issue I'm finding is how can you tell if the slots are upside down or not, remembered my cam sprockets where not marked when I pulled them out.

if they are upside down, the tool wont fit correctly. it'll look like it might but it'll be just a hair off

that is correct. exhaust notch at 5ish and intake at 7ish.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks for the confirmation, I have looked all over the place and I couldn't find a manual that will confirm the position of the notches as there are no markings on the head or valve cover to align them properly. I'm also thinking this is an easy mistake for those mechanics that don't that the experience you have. As a discussion point, what would happened for those that decide to mount the camshaft different than the pictures I provided, lets say with the notches pointing upward?

well anytime you do timing work, you ALWAYS manually turn the crank once the chain/belt is installed to make sure there is no interference. if they were 180 out then the car would probably just not start.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You are right, most mechanics will turn the crankshaft to see if there was not interference as it is in my case. Before the confirmation I happened to put the notch upward for the intake and downward for the exhaust and felt no interference, but the car wouldn't start. Do you think I could have bent valves with the upward and downward notches?

no. you didnt bend the valves. believe me you would have heard it

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks for that response "you didn't bend valves", I'm sure a lot of us will appreciate that in the future. I'm putting back my belt now and I can rotate with my hand the cam sprockets two teeth out passing the alignment marks in the cover on both direction which tells me something is not right. I was thinking that once I rotate the sprocket with my hand to the right, the sprocket should stop at the align marks on the cover and not passed that position. How do I know if my sprockets have been placed properly before I mount the timing belt.

those sprockets are vvt, they wont stop ... you have to line them up with the timing marks and keep them there. there is a tool for that too.

they spring back to the rest position. if they arent spring loaded then just turn them back to the rest position and you should be good

dont worry about the other tool i mentioned

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
They are not spring loaded and they have a lot of slack back and forth. If I rest the sprocket to the rest position(all the way left), then the cover marks won't align like the manual. Are you saying it won't matter if I don't get the exact alignment between the sprockets and the cover?

they have to align with the marks. did you have the sprockets off?

see if this helps you

https://youtu.be/o4uLvH151-c

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This is more like the issue I have, look at the movements of the sprockets. How do you make sure it aligns with the marks on the cover at the time the belt is put on.See the video below, it is exactly my issue right now.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPdudxdvpD8
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I placed the sprockets to its top rest positions to the right ending or aligning with the marks on the cover, then mounted the belt on the cam sprockets. I made sure my crank was also aligned with the line marks as showing in the picture below. I'm almost ready to turn this beast on and see the results.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Tried won't turn on.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Car will not turn on, it sounds like glup glup like sucking air.

meaning it wont start?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It won't start.

are you sure your on the compression stroke at tdc at the crank?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
piston 1 was set all the way to the top.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It feels like the engine turns slowly in an attempt to start it.

that doesnt mean you on the compression stroke. put a piece of thin paper/tissue over the spark plug hole while manually moving the crank. when the paper blows up or away, you're on the compression stroke then take it to the top

redo it. it needs to be dead on

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Checked compression on piston 1 and read 90, then went to the next couple spark plug and read 30 on 2nd and 3rd sparks plugs.

you sure you got the gauge on tight? coz that aint even close brother. you need to be reading 140-180

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Let me try reading with the gauge on stroke one. I also have the tool to lock the piston 1 behind the starter, But used a screw driver instead.

remove all tools from anywhere and do a regular compression test. hold key to start for 5 cylcles for each cylinder

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Tried all five, results as follow:
1- 90
2-30
3-30
4-25
5-0
I did 5 cycles. At this point is either the notches are still off or vvt or bent valves. Do you have any picture or manual for the notches pointing downward? I need to make sure that is the true case, if not could be vvt not properly installed or the dreaded answer, bent valves.

ok. when you initially started the job, did you initially finish and try starting the vehicle without making certain everything was lined up?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
we were not certain it was aligned properly, the only thing I was sure off was the crankshaft alignment and TDC, the cams threw us off with the notches. One thing I feel different with my previous setup was that I felt the engine turning on faster with both notches pointing upward.

ok. being 180 degrees out will cause low compression also. turn the cam notches up then, but ive never seen it or have done it that way.................give it a shot

dont be so worried about bent valves, as long as you manually turned the crank before starting it every time.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How can we make certain about the notches, can we check or look for written manuals that will tell us otherwise, perhaps someone that had the same issue. With the notches pointing upward, I felt I had better compression.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
maybe the reason it didn't start was due to vvt not setup correctly.

ok. go here and you should find everything you need........http://workshop-manuals.com/

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I already tried the workshop manuals to no avail. Every time we think we got something aligned we turned manually to see if there was resistance. I will try the notches tomorrow and give you the results.

ok man. ill dig up some pics

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Excellent picture, now I feel much more confident, I will try the setup the same as in the picture, then provide you with the results.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, results came back negative. I've changed the cams to match your setup, put everything together and the car tried to start but didn't. Checked compression and is better than what I had before but not by much.
1- 40
2- 50
3- 45
4- 50
5- 55

ok. do compression test agian this time pour a tablespoon of motor oil down the spark plug hole then connect the gauge. see what the compression does

any luck?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I haven't Tried it yet, I will do it sometime this afternoon and give you feedback; got busy yesterday with other things.

ok. sounds good

have you attempted anything more?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, but got distracted doing other things. Couple of days ago, I removed the heads thinking the valves were bent. Performed the leaked down test with the heads removed and they look fine with no leaks.
Now, I'm going to put the heads back using the special tool, lock the cranckshaft with the pin and put everything back together in an effort to get it right this time. Regarding the camshaft alignment and the position of the notches from the back of the cam, are you still certain what you described previously still holds true or should we try something else? My special tool will fit either way (notches up or down).

let me look back over our notes..........

that tool should not fit either way. but the position of the #1 cylinder cam lobes will be the key.

per the pic

zero setting

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Took some pictures with the so call zero setting. Please let me know if the setting looks accurate.

correct on the int and exh valves. the tool should fit easier one way than the other..... odd....it usually is almost impossible to fit the other way

just make sure the cam lobes on cylinder 1 are kind of pointing at each other. may 10 and 2 o clock lobe position

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do you happen to have a manual for torque specifications for the heads.

let me look that up

Use camshaft adjustment tool:

-

Install camshaft adjustment tool(###) ###-####Camshaft Adjustment Tool See: Tools and Equipment/999 5452 Camshaft Adjustment Tool at the rear
of the camshafts.

-

little more info on that cam tool. First screw in the part of the tool intended for the exhaust camshaft (drilled hole)

-

Then carefully turn the exhaust camshaft clockwise with the camshaft adjustment tool until the intake camshaft tool can be applied (threaded hole)

-

Install the intake camshaft adjustment tool

First pass ............................................................ 20 Nm Second pass ........................................................... 60 Nm Final pass ...................................................... Tighten 130°

looks pretty good, id like to see the one on right face the left a bit more, but if thats zero. that zero

well hows it going?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yesterday I put back the heads, now I'm torquing the center bolt for the camshaft sproket and vvt. Your manual says 120 NM, but would the camshaft tool be strong enough to hold that much force, or can I hold the camshaft from somewhere to apply the 120 NM.

you can hold the cam with a wrench there should be a pace for a wrench on the cam somewhere

looks good to me bubba

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, I felt it looked like have a tooth out, but I will try it like that.

rotate it manually just to make sure everything comes back to marks

you're good my friend

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Alright, got done putting it back together and still car won't start. Checked compression and got the following:
1 Cyl- 85
2 Cy- 60
3 Cyl- 90
4 Cyl - 60
5 Cyl - 90
What else Can we try.

what!!! that compression is horrible!!! anything under 120 is horrible........holy hell.

does it sound like it wants to start?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It tries to start, but it doesn't.

you getting fuel? spark?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
let's resume on Monday, I will make sure I get both fuel and sparks.

ok, but im worried about those compression readings. are you holding the gas pedal to the floor while doing it? and letting it cycle at least 5 times?

checking in to see how its going?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Good news, this morning we poured a little bit of oil in each cylinder and the car turned on. The check engine light is on, I'm going to read the codes next.

thats really not good news if the compression came up enough to start the car. that means the pistons rings are shot.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Before I took it apart, the car ran ok. I started having issues when I decided to change the cam seals without using the tool. Bought the tool later and you and I started the long discussion thread. I'm waiting for the car to burn all the oil inside the combustion chamber and see how it reacts next.

what did the compression come up to when you added oil?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, checked the compression once again and after I added oil to de cylinders.
1 cyl - 90
2 cyl - 95
3 cyl - 90
4 cyl - 95
5 cyl - 90
Cel code is P0340
Took it for a test drive and it feels it doesn't have any power the first three seconds after you push the pedal down or accelerate.

piston rings are shot

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How could have the rings gotten shot if it worked fine prior to working on the cam seals?

well it ran good enough before on the low compression because it was timed correctly. i think since it looked 1/2 off on one cam and the compression is low, thats what the issue is.

normally on a healthy engine a 1/2 tooth doesnt matter.

checking in to see how its going?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have to get it right somehow, it worked fine before. I'm going back to try to get the 1/2 tooth off for the timing. I just hope is not vvt related.

just start from scratch

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yeap, im going to remove timing belt and try again until marks are perefectly aligned. I'm just hopping the vvt doesn't require any especial setting as far as I know, or should I be concern about its proper alignment as well?

getting ridiculous aint it?

the vvt's only need to match up with the colored links. the only mark you need to worry about is the crank

hows it going?

ok bud, how about accepting the answer and leaving a 5 star rating. ill keep thid open sfter you rate me. no problem ....thanks

David Craig
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic