Volvo

Have Volvo Questions? Ask a Volvo Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Volvo

2001 s80 t6 surges on acceleration than stalls, no check

Customer Question
2001 s80 t6 surges on...
2001 s80 t6 surges on acceleration than stalls
JA: Is the check engine light on? Does the car stall at idle or when driving?
Customer: no check engine, does not stall at idle
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: turbo control valves, all turbo tubes sealed .
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: car has 151 k run good when cold
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Volvo Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Volvo
6/29/2016
Volvo Mechanic: Derek Werner, Volvo Master Technician replied 1 year ago
Derek Werner
Derek Werner, Volvo Master Technician

Hello and thanks for using JustAnswer!

I am Derek, a master Volvo technician and i will be happy to help with your S80.

The most common cause for the problem you are describing is a failing fuel pump. When cold the pump will work normally and as it heats up it can cause the problem exactly as you described.

To test the fuel pump is very easy, there is a fuel pressure test port located on the fuel rail. You will need to rent or buy a fuel pressure gauge from a auto parts store.

I would recommend testing or replacing the fuel pump first.

If you have any other questions please let me know.

Thanks

Derek

Derek Werner
Derek Werner
Derek Werner, Volvo Master Technician