Enes
Enes, VOLVO Master Technician
Experience:  18+YEARS WITH VOLVO AS THE MASTER VOLVO MECHANIC&Ase
20168386

I have a 2000 volvo S70 and the rear passenger window

Customer Question

Jim I have a 2000 volvo S70 and the rear passenger window stopped working. It's stuck in the down position. I have the door panel off and assumably everything disconnected, but I can't remove the motor and can't access the regulator or window guides. Any suggestions? Help!
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Is the motor making any noises at all when trying to operate the window?

Let me know,thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. It just stopped working.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

If you tap on the window motor (this is an easy check here) and then try and operate it with the window switch plugged back in if it runs and operates even briefly then the window motor needs replaced.I would try this and see if this works here at all and let me know.

Here is the removal procedure for this here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iz3ss85wonvgut9/w-06-26.gif?dl=0

- The lift mechanism motors in the front and rear doors are replaced in the same way. Work with the door open.
- Remove door panel.
- Raise the window to its highest position.
- Switch off the ignition.
- Secure window to door frame with tape.
- Remove lift mechanism motor screws.
- Disconnect connector.
- Remove lift mechanism motor.

CG2 Installing:
- Connect connector to lift mechanism motor. Position it and reinstall screws. Tighten to 10 Nm (7.4 ft.lbs).
- Remove tape securing window.

Test lift mechanism motor function. Lower window to its lowest position and then raise to its highest position.

Reinstall the door panel.

With the window stuck down this can be difficult to do and may require removing the motor and regulator assembly as a unit or see if you can access inside the door to remove the glass from the regulator to remove it.Then replace the motor as this does sound like the motor is at fault here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I reconnected the switch, tapped the motor and pushed the switch; still no response from the motor.I reviewed your instructions and the diagram. There arent any accessable screws attaching the motor to the door frame. If there are they are screwed in from the inside.Also the instructions start with the window in a raised position; my window is down. Will this make a difference? Is there a way to raise the window without power?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Do you see rivets in place of where the screws are located?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No rivets, but I am able to skake my hand through the speaker opening and reach up to the back side of the window motor. I can't see it but it feels like star or hex screws on the other side.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The motor is mounted to a metal plate and that plate seems to be connected (possibly riveted ) to the window hardware.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,unfortunately my info is different then what your model has here then.I will have to open your question up for others here to see if anyone else can assist further on this.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a way to raise the window without power?
Expert:  Enes replied 1 year ago.

did you try new master window switch on driver side ? switches are most common failure on that model

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. Would a failed master switch stop the window from working all together? Would it even prevent the rear passenger door switch that's connected to the window from working?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just received a request to rate you, but I haven't received answers to my questions. Question 1 - Is there a way to raise the window without power? (Originally sent to Pete on 6/26/16)Questions 2 and 3 - Would a failed master switch stop the window from working all together? Would it even prevent the rear passenger door switch that's connected to the window from working? (Sent to Enes 6/28/16)
Expert:  Enes replied 1 year ago.

master window switch can cut power to rear windows not making it work master window switch is main controller for rear windows it will stop power going to control it