Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various automobiles at a dealer and independently.
14928985

Very intermittently gets stuck in park. The manual override

Customer Question

Very intermittently gets stuck in park. The manual override cable seems to be frozen, so this recently left me stranded in the left lane of an interstate. I plan on pulling and replacing the entire BW55 shifter assembly, (391982), but its parts breakdown does not include the solenoid, nor the relay ahead of the solenoid. With this car (1993 240A Wagon) almost all the other original relays have caused intermittent problems with other systems, so I want to replace the solenoid and relay along with the worn mechanical parts.
JA: Do you have brake lights? Have any trouble codes popped up?
Customer: Brake lights work. I have never read the codes.
JA: What is the model of your '389982 Volvo?
Customer: It's the 1993 240A (Classic) Wagon (one of the last 1600 240s manufactured). 381982 is the part number for the Gear Lever Carrier BW55.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I will do the work myself this time. Last time I was stranded my mechanic removed the actuator for the manual override, which was cracked. His logic was that that might have caused the mechanism to bind. That was a year ago. So far in response to this instance, I removed the shifter cover and noted quite a bit of side-to-side play in the lever, enough to cause the lever pin to release from the switch tab. While experiencing not being able to shift out of park (with the ignition on, the brake pedal depressed and the brake light observed to be on) I could see nothing visible from the top that was preventing movement of the lever. I have not found a good diagram of the actual lock function (the solenoid is not in the diagram I have), but if it is below the gear selector gate it is probably the culprit.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: The bushings are obviously worn and will be replaced when I have the unit out.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Volvo Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

Unfortunately I do not show a parts blow up and wiring diagram on this model here for this.In some cases you can obtain this info from a dealer or local repair center on this issue here as well as what is needed to replace or repair to correct this fault here.If this is not an option for you and you want to continue here instead let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete