Volvo

Have Volvo Questions? Ask a Volvo Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Volvo

After being in the garage weeks the key will not open the

Customer Question
after being in the garage...
after being in the garage for three weeks the key will not open the door and the remote does not work. the alarm sounds, the parking lights are on
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Volvo
6/20/2016
Volvo Mechanic: Jeremy, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Jeremy
Jeremy, ASE Certified Technician

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

What is the year, make, model of the vehicle?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback,

they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I assumed that all the info was listed in my sign -up. It is an 02 Volvo V70XC. As noted the key and remote do not work. Cannot raise the deck to get at battery, cannot raise the hood to get at the hot spot.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The alarm sounds when we try to open the door.
Also parking lights are on
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I answered your question 30 minutes ago--did you forget me?

This is in the heavy truck category. I asked for it to be moved for the car techs to get on it.

Volvo Mechanic: Edward, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, Eddie here and I will do my best to help. Have you put the key into the drivers door, and locked and unlocked the drivers door a couple times physically with the key, not using the remote? If you have a very small torx bit, I would suggest taking the batteries completely out of the remotes, or putting them in a location 1/2 a mile away or so. I don't want them sending any signals and we can try to reset the alarm.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok, will try key trick,
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There is no hole for a key in the passenger's side
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do you want the batteries out of the remote AND 1/2 away or either or.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
1/2 mile away

You can just pull the batteries out. That is correct, just on drivers side there is a hole for the key. If you pull the batteries out of the remote, and lock and unlock the drivers door a few times, does the alarm stop then?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK, the alarm is not sounding. The key nor the remote will unlock the door. The alarm only sounds if we are trying to unlock it. I am going to dinner now be back in 20 or 30 mins

Alright, unlock it, the alarm is gonna go off. Then put the key in the ignition and turn it on. That should stop the alarm.

It's probably going to need a new siren if it is original. they have a battery in them that goes bad over time.

I'll check back in an hour or so. Let me know what happens. Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No, No, No. You are not understanding the problem. I cannot unlock the car. Not with a key, not with a remote. I cannot get inside the car to put the key in the ignition. I can not put the car in neutral in order to push it out of the garage.

You can't physically put the key in the driver door lock cylinder and unlock it? What happens when you put the metal key in the door lock on the drivers side? does it not turn it?

There should be a hole in the drivers door to put the key as in this photo.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
there is a hole for the key on the drivers side. When we insert the key and turn it it does not unlock the door.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
how many ways can i say it. The key does not unlock the door, the remote does not unlock the door.

OK, I follow you now, It is suppose to unlock the door, but for some reason it doesn't. Do you have a spare key to try? or just 1 for this vehicle?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If you will read the previous messages you will read that one of the first things I tried was using the second key. Same results.

Alright, I think we're done here. I would call a mobile locksmith. Thanks.

Enes
Enes
Enes, VOLVO Master Technician