Volvo

Have Volvo Questions? Ask a Volvo Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Volvo

03 Volvo S40 - Brakes operate as if there is NO power

Customer Question
assist. Hot COld good...
03 Volvo S40 - Brakes operate as if there is NO power assist. Hot COld good weather or bad the car does NOT stop the way it should. It is very much the same as my 82 MB 300 D when the Vacuum pump failed. You have to STAND on the brake pedal in hard braking situations.
JA: Have you checked the spark plugs? When was your air filter last changed?
Customer: Pugs and filters all changed recently. Those things have NOTHING to do with this problem.
JA: What is the model of your '2147481646 Volvo?
Customer: 2003 Volvo S40
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: YES. I have bled the brake system, changed the brake pads - same results. Brakes work but as if they were non power assisted.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: The Volvo S40 is a 1.9 liter turbo w/ 75,000 miles. runs very well.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Volvo Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Volvo
6/14/2016
Volvo Mechanic: Master Auto Tech., master tech. replied 1 year ago
Master Auto Tech.
Master Auto Tech., master tech.
I'm sorry you are having problems with your vehicle. I will try to help.I'm a full time mechanic and have been a mechanic for over 20 yrs and I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and others repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as neeed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there.Do you know what a brake booster is? You master cyl. Is connected to it. Check and make sure you have vacuum there. If you do then it's a bad booster.Let me know if you have any questions.Thanks
Sonny
Do you still need help with this? Did my suggestions help?
I strive to provide 5 star service. If I have satisfactorily answered your question please rate it as such and hit submit. Doing so is the only way I get compensated for my time. Also it doesn't close the discussion so we will still be able to communicate if there are further questions.
Thanks
Sonny
Do you still need help?Please let me know.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The vacuum line was partially disconnected from the vacuim pump.
Gotcha, if it was my advice that helped with it please kindly rate my help. If it wasn't I understand.Thanks
Sonny
Master Auto Tech.
Master Auto Tech.
Master Auto Tech., master tech.