Volvo

Have Volvo Questions? Ask a Volvo Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Volvo

I have a 2007 S40 2.4i with the passenger side sunroof drain

Customer Question
not draining right. I have...
I have a 2007 S40 2.4i with the passenger side sunroof drain not draining right. I have cleared the upper hose and intermediate section but can not reach the sound trap. A technician at Volvo in Virginia Beach said the only way to reach it is by removing the cowl. First, is that right, and secondly, how do I remove the cowl?
I just read over the Volvo's service bulletin but that did not clear up my questions.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Volvo
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/14/2016
Volvo Mechanic: Dan, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Dan, ASE Certified Technician

The Volvo "sound traps", which are rubber drain tubes with a crimped end that passes through the firewall into the plenum chamber, get blocked with muck.

- Remove the a-pillar trim by pulling outwards from the top after pulling back the rubber door seal. Slide the retaining strap up to release the trim piece. Don't cut it as it's there to stop the trim flying into your face if the curtain airbag deploys.
- Pull the drain hose out of the black rubber sound trap at the bottom of the windscreen
- Using needle nosed pliers pull the sound trap out of the dash (will require some pulling)
- Once out of the car clean out the rubber sound trap and cut 2-3mm off the crimped end that sits in the plenum chamber
- Refit by spraying PTFE/graphite lube onto the bit that goes through the firewall and poking into place with long fingers (this bit's very fiddly).
- Test that the drain runs freely by slowly pouring water down the affected drain with the sunroof open. The water should drain just inside the front wheel arches.

Once done you shouldn't have the problem again.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The drain tube passes through a hole in horizonal metal framing beneath the dash on the passenger's side not allowing me to access the sound trap. Where do I go from here?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Also, the opening in the dash the drain hose goes through is very small (unlike other Volvo models) making impossible to work in that space.

put some water down the hose, take some compressed shop air and blow out the tube to try to free the clog.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I know about the compressed air (been done in the past) but I am trying to give the sound trap a good cleaning out by hand or replace it, if need be. Is there no way to access the sound trap?

The sound trap is just a small rubber tube, pinched on one end. It is located where the hose exits the interior cabin area.

you should be able to access them with the a pillar trim removed

You can cut the rubber where it is pinched together, to get better drainage.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
WHAT?? I KNOW THAT...I WANT TO KNOW HOW TO ACCESS IT!!!!!!

they are in the a pillar behind the trim panel.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can not access from the interior. Are you reading what I am writing?

Then you need to remove the cowl. Pull the wiper arms, there are only a few clips holding the cowl into place.

Just follow where the tube exits the interior, they are going to be very close to the windshield.

Dan, ASE Certified Technician