Volvo

Have Volvo questions? Ask a Volvo mechanic for answers ASAP

Having issue with my 2005 S60 2.5t AWD. Driving along and lost power. Idles rough, stalls, black soot around tail pipe.

Customer Question
Hi Pearl. Having issue...

Hi Pearl. Having issue with my 2005 S60 2.5t AWD. Driving along and lost power. Idles rough, stalls, black soot around tail pipe. Have scan tool and have codes P0030, P0053, and P0089. Not sure some of these may be old.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the rough idle consistent or more erratic? How many miles are on the car?

It starts ok then idles low and erratic then stalls. 135k on this motor.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Great! What have you tried so far?

Talking to you! Lol!

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Volvo Mechanic should be aware of about your Volvo?

Not stock exhaust. Bought the car used. Love the look, and want to be a satisfied owner, but don't want to break the bank to become one.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Volvo
6/8/2016
Volvo Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 2 years ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello

as the 1st 2 codees relate to the bank 1 ( 1st ) O2 sensor with a faulty heater circuit and faulty connection then I'd pitch straight in and replace the sensor with a new part and double check the state of the wiring harness at the same time

also the last code is an issue with fuel pressure so if the regulator has failed then you may be getting over-pressure and so over fuelling

I'd confirm this with a pressure gauge onto the fuel rail as if its more than 3.5Bar then replace the fuel regulator

and lastly check for exhaust leaks before the O2 sensor as if this has been experiencing an exhaust leak then it will have been running very rich as the sensor will see the extra air pulled in as fresh / lean fuelling and be adding fuel to compensate.

this can lead to catalyst failure as the extra fuel can re-light inside and melt the catalyst

The best way to find an exhaust leak is to run the engine from cold and feel around the exhaust joints with your bare hands - you'll have about 30 seconds before it all gets too hot and you should feel any escaping gas blowing over your fingers