Volvo

Have Volvo Questions? Ask a Volvo Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Volvo

I have a 2005 Volvo XC90, when I changed the exhaust front

Customer Question
cam seal, I mistakenly did...
I have a 2005 Volvo XC90, when I changed the exhaust front cam seal, I mistakenly did not use the cam line up tool. When I realized my mistake, I thought I had placed the cam sprocket in the right place. I turned the engine over by hand several times to be sure there was no interference. I then started the engine with no problems, I road tested the vehicle to find I had a stumble on acceleration. I have gotten the cam tool. My question is if I loosen the cam sprocket can I just line up the cams and adjust the pulleys to line up my timing marks. When I did do this, I had to move the intake cam to be able to line the tool properly.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Volvo
6/3/2016
Volvo Mechanic: rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor replied 1 year ago
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in the auto repair business with my own shops since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

See attachment for instructions.

Thanks, Ron

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Ron, OK lets get to know each other. I have been a mechanic for 48 years, I own my own shop for 33 years. I have all Data, just as you sent me a diagram of. The problem if you didn't get a chance to read it is this. I inadvertently changed the exhaust front cam seal without the use of the cam lock tool. When I realized my mistake, I thought I had put the gear back in it's right spot. I after assembly I turned the engine over several times with no interference, I then started the engine with no problems, and it seemed to be running fine. I then road tested vehicle to find it had a stumble on acceleration. I have since gotten the tool. My question is in order for me to line up the cams, I have to move the intake cam. I just need to know how to get everything back in line so I can get this car out of my shop. Thank you
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Give me some time to see if I can find another procedure for you.

Thanks, Ron

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How much time do you think you need. No insult but do you think if your not sure, that another Volvo specialist may be needed. If it makes it easier, I know it would be for me if you called me, rather then email, it's easier, I can be working instead of being on the computer. I can be reached at(###) ###-#### *****
Volvo Mechanic: njerje23, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
njerje23
njerje23, ASE Certified Technician

You should be able to slide it up or down to gain access. Worst case you might just have to take the upper side of the shaft off and take to box out of the vehicle that way. You might be able to get it once its out of the vehicle. Is there any way you could send me a picture of it so I can see what style it is?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am not sure you understand what the problem is, I don't know if Ron the other mechanic filled you in on whats going on. I own my own shop for 33 years. I have AllData. The problem I am having, really just a question, can I use the cam line up tool and then just move the cam pulleys to line up on my timing marks. I changed the exhaust front cam seal without he use of the cam tool by mistake. I thought I put the gear back where it was originally. I turned engine over by hand to be sure of no interference, I then started the engine, which started with no problems, and seemed to run well. I then road tested it and it stumbled on acceleration. I wanted to know can I line up cams with tool then loosen pulleys to line them up on there timing marks. If you would like to call me instead of email, please do @(###) ###-####Thank you,John
njerje23
njerje23
njerje23, ASE Certified Technician