Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various automobiles at a dealer and independently.
14928985

Volvo XC70: I have a 2006 XC70 with HU-650 radio. No amp.

Customer Question

I have a 2006 XC70 with HU-650 radio. No amp. A while ago the radio started to just go silent, and come back, randomly. As if there was bad connection. Not tied to bumps but have noticed if it's working on the highway at constant speed it tends to stay on, but during in town driving it will go on and off more frequently. Recently it has been more frequent, and also will mess with sudden bursts or dampening of volume. Also recently the sound will travel around the car either front to back or even a single speaker at a time, randomly cycling through speakers one at a time (not sure if there is a pattern to changes in speakers). Possibly related is that one rear door randomly locks itself while driving and mirrors move on their own (I believe only on shut off or start up, but not 100% sure they don't move some while driving too).
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here. With what you have described here this sounds like the common fault of the radio itself internally.I have seen the sound chips internally in the radio act up/fail like this here needing replaced in the radio with the radio needing repaired by an authorized repair center or the radio removed and replaced.This will have to be checked/tested further to be sure this is the cause here for sure. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete