Enes
Enes, VOLVO Master Technician
Experience:  18+YEARS WITH VOLVO AS THE MASTER VOLVO MECHANIC&Ase
20168386

Cooling fan not working, 2001 v70xc , just replaced fan with

Customer Question

cooling fan not working, 2001 v70xc , just replaced fan with the module and still nothing have .01 volts at purple wire
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Volvo. The Volvo Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: cooling fan does not work with ac on or not
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes i am a tech 30 yrs
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: ckd for power at power plug thats fine did ck purple signal wire from ecm getting .01 volts, so i replaced cooling fan with module didnt work
JA: Someone once said knowledge gives us power. In this case, quite literally! The mechanics will know how to get to the bottom of any power problems, and I'd love to put you in touch with the best one for the job. Is there anything else important you think the Volvo Mechanic should know about your Volvo?
Customer: just replaced rear main seal 2 weeks ago and just discovered fan was not working
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Volvo Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.The problem you are having with the cooling fan can be caused by any of the following,Cooling FanMissing Cooling Fan GroundMissing Cooling Fan PowerWiringIn order to determine the cause you are going to need to do some testing, I have enclosed the test steps in the link below, copy and paste the link yo your browser to open and view it.https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Cooling%20fan%20May3.pdfSee the wiring diagram in this link for reference as well.https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Cooling%20fan%20circuit%20May%203.pdf
Expert:  Enes replied 1 year ago.
if you wire is ok from fan to ecm check pin connections if all that is good try new software flash to ecm if still dont work replace pcm/ecm