Volvo

Have Volvo Questions? Ask a Volvo Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Volvo

Volvo V70 2.4: . Here's the story: just purchased project

Customer Question
Hi. Here's the story: just...
Hi. Here's the story: just purchased project 2002 volvo V70 fwd. Car wont start due to broken key, previous owner broke the key and lost black part of it, which I understand contains immobiliser chip? I just sourced used half column, complete with ign switch, cylinder, imm antena and a matching key. Question is, will replacing those parts solve the problem and vehicle would start? If not, would replacing immobiliser control module(from the same donor vehicle) along with above parts , would?
Thanks in advance
Ps: if it matters, on this vehicle, key and remote fob are separete. Remote fob functions properly
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Volvo
5/2/2016
Volvo Mechanic: Philip, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Philip
Philip, ASE Certified Technician
unfortunatly it will not work, the CEM (main electrical computer) hold the pin codes for the keys and it cannot be swapped from vehicle to vehicle. so by changing the column parts will fix the key turning situation it still will not start. you will need new keys to be programmed to the CEM, the old keys will be useless. a dealer visit will be needed
Enes
Enes
Enes, VOLVO Master Technician