Volvo

Have Volvo Questions? Ask a Volvo Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Volvo

I have a 2005 S60R. When I turn the vehicle on, the

Customer Question
Hello, I have a 2005...
Hello, I have a 2005 S60R. When I turn the vehicle on, the headlights work. Shortly after starting, the driver side low beam turns off and a message is triggered. It does not come back on until restarting. Any ideas?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: That's pretty detailed...
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Volvo Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Volvo
4/4/2016
Volvo Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Hello and thank you for your question,The problem you are having is known problem and its usually caused by a bad ground. Your going to need to Check 31/93 ground bolt for tightness. Ensure wire is not breaking at the eyelet. Volvo has released a bulletin showing the location (left from of the engine compartment) of the ground . Check it and see if it clean and tight and not coming loose . See the bulletin in the link below. Copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view it.https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Ground%20Apr%204.pdf
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
All grounds are tight, heat shrunk and in good condition. 3 on each side of the engine compartment near the struts. A fresh coat of WD-40 is applied. I am still experiencing bulb failure on the driver side, both low and high beam.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The headlight comes on, flickers a few times, then goes off. All the while, computer board under the hood makes noises.
This type of problem is usually caused by a bad ground and if you are sure they are all okay then you may be dealing with a failing shunt. Unfortunately this is all the information I have on this so Im going to open the post back up for you and hopefully someone else may have something different to offer. If they can help you they will respond.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks Ron.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What is a shunt?
Volvo Mechanic: Andy, Volvo Expert Technician replied 1 year ago
Andy, Volvo Expert Technician
Hello, My name is ***** ***** I am a Volvo dealership technician. I am going to try to help with your question today. This problem is not caused by a shunt. The 05 doesn't use a shunt. That was only on 04 and earlier, and the shunt was for both headlights anyway so it couldn't cause a problem with just one headlight. This sounds like either a problem with the bulb or with the ballast. I have seen several instances where the bulb works intermittently before completely failing. The best way to test that is to swap the bulbs from side to side. If the problem follows the bulb, you know it's the bulb. If it stays on the same side, it is likely the ballast.
Hello, I am just checking in to see if you had any other questions, since I see you have viewed the information but have not selected a rating for my service. Please note- two experts are involved to please rate accordingly. You can always follow up at any time. Thank you!
Andy, Volvo Expert Technician